Keyless remote add-ons

I have a '96 Toyota Camry with a third party alarm/keyless entry system installed by the previous owner. It's an obscure brand that has just about died (both original remotes and one duplicate all no longer function). I noticed that universal keyless remotes/alarm systems are available at places like Circuit City that cost about $200 if I include the installation costs. Are there any brands/products that you consider acceptable? Note that I am not replacing a Toyota system with an after-market keyless remote: I want to replace an ancient, broken after-market system with a new after-market system.

A related question: why do so many experts recommend against remote starter systems?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wong

One of the most common causes for no-start complaints on newer vehicles is poor installation of aftermarket alarms and remote starter systems. The installers cut the wrong wires, make poor connections, or inadvertently loosen factory connections. In some cases, the quality of the connectors is poor so they either loosen over time or allow moisture to corrode the connection. They are difficult for a dealer to diagnose because they do not have wiring diagrams for the particular aftermarket accessory.

Remote starters waste fuel, put unnecessary wear and tear on the engine, and in many states, it is illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running, even if the door is locked.

Reply to
Ray O