Keyless remote disaster!

Help! I really got myself into it good. My wife lost both remotes (don't ask me how!) to her 2001 Camry. I ordered two new ones and followed the instructions. I'd done this once before, successfully, and it involves a complex sequence of turning the key on and off several times, pressing lock and unlock on the door and the remote several times.

This time, I screwed something up in the sequence and had to repeat the procedure three times. On the third try the whole system died. Nothing... The remotes never did get programmed, and the lock and unlock switches on both doors don't work. Now, the car must be locked by manually operating the locks on each door. I've checked the fuses - none were blown. A call to a Toyota dealer produced the information that the programming sequence is hard on the system, and that I must have blown something. But if it isn't a fuse, what is it? Is there some circuit breaker I haven't found? Did I blow a relay? If so, which one? I really hate to turn this over to the dealer and get charged hundreds of dollars if it's something simple. Any ideas?

Reply to
ichygoichya

Did you try disconnecting the battery for awhile?

Reply to
Josh

Did you check the battery in the remote?

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

I would hardly call that a disaster...

Back in the OLD DAYS (until 3 years ago for me) we always had to use the key. Heck, we even had to roll the windows up and down using our arms. The horror! ;-)

Josh had a good suggestion, well worth a try

Reply to
Mark

ANd to think, a few years ago, that I thought that AC in a car was pretentious. AAARRGGHhh. Once once has something, it would be damn hard doing without. AC is great even way up north here in Edmonton, Alberta. We even have central AC in our house.

Reply to
Sharx35

I had a car with remote entry. It was nice except I would accidentally set off the alarm occasionally. The general advice when camping is to remove everything from your pockets, if you are going to sleep in your pants. The reason for this was painfully obvious one night at a Cub Scout camp. Cub Scouts generally go car camping, with the cars parked close to the tents. One adult accidentally set off his car alarm really early in the morning. Other adults thought it was their car alarm and they started pressing buttons on their remotes. Needless say, the flashing headlights and alarms managed to wake everyone up.

As of now, I not own a car with a remote entry function. I am not sure I really want that feature since the key and remote or the key/remote combinations tend to be larger than a plain metal key.

Reply to
ma_twain

Forgive me, but...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *catching breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think it's worth the grief, especially since my key ring has not only many keys, but also a plush Vulcan doll. Pretty difficult to lose them, I must say...

;-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

An old trick is to disassemble your remote and remove the red button cap from the "panic" button on your remote. That way you REALLY have to press it on purpose in order to make it go off.

Reply to
Mark

Cub Scout parents camp with HUGE tents, some of them are big enough to park an SUV inside, and they aren't experienced enough to use the handy dandy pockets built into the sides of the tent.

As your sons graduate to Boy Scouts, it's the sound of the older dads unzipping tents to answer nature's call that gets people up or the cranes barking in the trees at Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo, WI.

Reply to
Ray O

You must have experienced this trend personally, as well. I used a large tent when my son was on Cub Scouts. It was 10X16 with a 5x8 screened in porch - that is feet. It could and did hold the whole den. Here is the funny thing - my tent was NOT the largest! I sold it as soon as my son got into Boy Scouts. Now, the tent I use weights only 3 lbs and is

80x40 inches! It is amazing how the tent becomes much smaller when you have to carry everything including water on your back for miles . . .

As for getting up early - I am the first one up. For the reason you listed and I am used to being at work at 6:30 AM.

Reply to
ma_twain

I started out as a den leader around 1985 and still try to get in as much camping and climbing as my wife lets me get away with. I managed to get my daughter to go to a Venturing outing and to my surprise, she even liked rappelling! I've also downsized my tent, but apparently not as much as you have. I have a 2-person Sierra Designs Omega that weighs 5 pounds and some change, at about the same size or slightly smaller.

Hopefully we'll see you out there some time!

Reply to
Ray O