Keyless remote entry problem!

Ok so I just purchased a 2003 Toyota Corolla and love the car! However what I do not love is that the keypad/fob is not working. The dealership I bought the car from was not a Toyota one so they have no idea. I?ve tried putting a new battery in, no such luck. I?ve been researching it since I got the car two nights ago (This is a very BIG pet peeve of mine!) and have gotten to a place where I?m not sure what to do.

Originally I was going to purchase one that matched my FCC ID # and then attempt to reprogram it myself to avoid the dealerships fees however not I?m not so sure that if I do that it will even work again. I read something about it might not being the keypad itself but the transmitter that could be broken?

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Maggie

You might try badgering the dealer into fixing the problem for free (naturally) . and you might try out the features of a car (turn on the air, the heat, the radio, the cassette player and a dozen other things) before saying "I'll take it!" Not to brag, but when I bought a Toyota (used from Hertz) I took along a CD and a homemade CD-r to try in the CD player, just to make sure. and I checked out all the condition items as well as I could without a hoist. Three years later, it seems to have paid off, because no problems have surfaced.

Reply to
mack

I think it was Maggie who stated:

With the new battery in the keypad, try this:

This was stolen from a Scion site, but it works on my '05 Camry; it seems reasonable it would work on your '03 Corolla as well (it's a little like doing the Hoky-Poky ;^)

Here are the procedures to manipulate the remote door lock system. As you can see they are hardly difficult programming exercises. Any competent mechanic should be able to do it in 20 minutes including time for paperwork, coffee, sharing a dirty joke with the next guy, and a cigarette break. Competence, in this case, means the ability to read and follow instructions, not even knowing anything about cars.

As with anything, try these at your own risk. If you accidently reprogram your engine to produce 200HP don't blame me!

There are four different modes you can use to program remote door lock functions.

Confirmation mode allows you to check the number of transmitters recorded. Add mode allows you to add a transmitter without disturbing existing transmitters. Rewrite mode allows you to replace all existing transmitters with new ones. Prohibition mode erases all transmitters and turns off the remote door lock function.

Confirmation mode. To check for the number of remotes programmed into the car:

Start with the key out of the car, driver's door open and unlocked.

1.Insert key in ignition and pull out
  1. Within 5 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and pull out again.
  2. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
  3. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
  4. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF three times, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.
  5. Remove the key from the ignition lock.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves at about 2 second intervals. The number of times that the doors lock is the number of remotes that are programmed into the car. If the car locks/unlocks 5 times, there are no codes registered.

Add mode. To add a remote without disturbing existing remotes:

Start with the key out of the car, driver's door open and unlocked.

1.Insert key in ignition and pull out
  1. Within 5 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and pull out again.
  2. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
  3. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
  4. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second.
  5. Remove the key from the ignition lock.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once.

  1. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.
  2. Within 3 seconds, press either switch and release.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once if the registration was successful. They will lock and unlock twice if the registration failed.

  1. If you have other remotes to program, go back to step 7 within 40 seconds.
  2. Insert the key in the ignition or open a door to complete registration.

Rewrite mode: To erase all remotes and add new ones:

Start with the key out of the car, driver's door open and unlocked.

1.Insert key in ignition and pull out
  1. Within 5 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and pull out again.
  2. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
  3. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
  4. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF twice, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.
  5. Remove the key from the ignition lock.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves twice, indicating that you are in rewrite mode.

Prohibition mode: To erase all codes and disable wireless door lock function:

Start with the key out of the car, driver's door open and unlocked.

1.Insert key in ignition and pull out
  1. Within 5 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and pull out again.
  2. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
  3. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
  4. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF five times, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.
  5. Remove the key from the ignition lock.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves 5 times at about 1 second intervals.

Good luck.

-Don

-- It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats

Reply to
Don Fearn

geez, all this needs is guzzle beer and spin each time you hear the doorlocks click...

Reply to
Dr Corey

I think it was "Dr Corey" who stated:

[snip lots o' stuff]

Yup! Just don't do it IN the vehicle when it's on public streets -- they'll come and take your drunken self away!!

It really works, though . . . .

-Don (posting while drinking -- beer, actually)

-- A fine is a tax for doing wrong -- a tax is a fine for doing well

Reply to
Don Fearn