korean vs. japanese

South Korean products have certainly gained a foothold in America lately. Automobiles, electronics, and perhaps other products have gained respectability with consumers. Hyundai, Samsung, LG and some other name brands are among the top names these days. The progression of quality has been impressive.

I was wondering about South Korean automobiles and how they compare to their Japanese counterparts of yesteryear. Where in the Japanese timeline of products do you think the Korean products are now? Do Hyundais, etc. compare to the 80's, 90's, 00's of Japanese products? What about other products? I know some would even argue the South Korean electronics products have surpassed the Japanese quality.

Reply to
badgolferman

As far as cars go, Hyundai certainly deserves some consideration. The Sonata has been a very reliable car for years (even though early models had tranny issues), and hopefully the new model will be no exception. Their other current models have been kind of hit-and-miss, although they are certainly nowhere near as bad as they were in the 80s and early 90s. How well they will hold up compared to a Toyota or Honda after 10 years and 100,000 miles is a question mark.

Some, if not all, of Kia's current cars are based on existing Hyundais, so hopefully that will mean improved reliability for them. Daewoo, on the other hand, is entirely owned by GM and should be avoided. I don't even know if Daewoo-badged cars are still sold in North America, but Chevy Aveo, for example, is Daewoo-built.

One area where the Korean car makers still lag behind Toyota and Honda is in fuel economy, although the EPA claims vastly improved mileage for both engines in the new Sonata. Also, if you trade up every few years, Korean cars still depreciate at a higher rate than Toyota and Honda.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

There are many factors when comparing cars. If you're talking about build quality, I'd say South Korean vehicles are at least on a par with Japanese vehicles. "Build quality" is defined as adherence to a standard. If you are talking about how close they can get moveable body panels like doors, hoods, deck lids, etc. to fit, they are on a par with U.S. domestic vehicles and at least a generation behind Toyota, or about 1 mm wider. If you're talking about engine sophistication, performance, fuel efficiency, NVH, etc, I'd say they are about 1 generation behind the Japanese and U.S domestic. In terms of the quality of interior materials, IMO, that is more a choice of materials and cost. Korean brands use lower cost interior materials - some people can tell the difference, many people cannot tell the difference or don't care.

As far as other products, I don't really have much experience other than my sons' cell phones, which have held up very well.

Reply to
Ray O

My sister in law bought a Kia. Each time I am in it it feels like I am driving on rails. Also, the damn car is falling apart. latest is the window stopped working... It's the biggest piece of crap ever. I really would consider an American brand over a Korean one.

And you are right, Samsung is a good company, but LG is not. Look at consumer reports or talk to someone that owned their appliances or cell phones. Absolutely bad.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

How much did the Kia cost as compared to say a Toyota, Ford and a equal model?

Reply to
The benevolent dbu

They certainly look pretty decent from the outside, and the magazine reviews are pretty respectable - every year you just get the feeling that they are coming closer to the best in their markets. Experience with models only a few years old don't apply. It would be very intesting to test-drive a modern example, like the new made-in-USA Hyundai Sonota, back-to-back with an Accord.

Reply to
dizzy

I used to refer to the Hyundais as "high and dry", as in leaving you such ;-)

noneyabusiness