Leaking '91 Corolla help?

I have a '91 Corolla base model (no PS, A/C, PW, PL, nothing) that has acquired a bad leaking problem. The trunk has always had a leak from around the lid but the worst that has gotten is about a gallon of water in the side compartment where the jack goes. I live in northwest Washington state and we just broke 30 days of rain (not straight but each day it has rained here). During the first few days of the rain I noticed about 3 inches (7.62 cm) of water under my pedals. It is about the same in the passenger foot space. Going around a corner one can hear water sloshing around under the floorboards even when there is not puddles of water above the floorboards. Has anybody had anything like this and does anybody know how to fix it?! Brian H.

Reply to
Brian

There are several drains and plugs that you should check:

Each door are drain holes on the underside of the door. Poke the holes with a coathanger or stiff piece of wire to make sure they are not clogged.

The heater core under the passenger side of the dashboard has a drain tube. Make sure that the tube is routed through the openinging in the floor and not just draining into the passenger compartyment. While you are at it, make sure that the tube is not clogged - poke a stiff wire through the tube.

IIRC, the antenna on your car is mounted on the A-pillar (the one next to the windshield) on the driver's side. Make sure the gasket for where the antenna attaches to the A-pillar is in place and make sure that the drain tube is properly positioned and not just draining into the side kick panel somewhere.

If you lift the carpet (or rubber floor mat if that is all you have) or look up at the underside of the car, there are several plugs in the floor. Make sure they are all in place and not missing.

Check the spare tire well and well in each rear fender to make sure any body plugs are in position as well.

If the gasket around the trunk opening has deteriorated, get some insulating foam with adhesive on one side rom your local home improvement store. Applythe foam to the underside of the trunk lid where the trunk gasket contacts the trunk lid to prevent rubber from entering the trunk from the lid.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks much. Brian

Reply to