Leaky rims

Cheers all,

My venerated 1991 Cressida's original rims are rather leaky and pitted. The local garage has a cleaning and resealing 'package' .... What should I be looking for in terms of the best solution? An acid bath and wire brush treatment or grinding? Are leak sealant chemicals a good idea?

Thanks in advance, Surf McBrowse

Reply to
Surf McBrowse

Surf McBrowse wrote in news:bc01169d-16f8-48b5-8124- snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Sandpaper to smooth everything out, then black sealing goop. Easy fix.

Reply to
Tegger

Here's what I do. Note, it's lobor intensive!

There was a better article based on this but it's gone.

Have the wheels sandblasted by a machine or body shop, and then start sanding. I sand mine down smooth, and when I finish they look like crome.

You can have them powdercoated with a clear powdercoating. Before doing this, take the wheels off the car and get a big tub or something, hold the wheel/tire in the water and look for bubbles. Sometimes they develop pits that chew right through the wheel; you can resolve this with sealant or with a ball-peen hammer; hammer over the sopts that are leaking.

If it's leaking from the bead, you'll either have to have the wheel repaired, or, if you're lucky, if you follow the refinishing steps, file down the imperfections. Leave enough 'meat' to hold the tire!!!!

Reply to
hach