Least Expensive cars to own

"Roy" <

Holy crap - I guess! What did it cost to *feed* that sucker?!

You can't put regular gas into a Charger? They're not diesel, are they?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

When we take kids on wilderness trips, I always tell them that if they don't practice proper food protection, then they'll be eating bugs.

Reply to
Ray O

So, how much MORE did the hybrid cost than the regular Camry? What kind of fuel savings do you enjoy compared to the regular Camry? Have you calculated how long it will take for the fuel savings to cover the extra cost of the hybrid? Seriously, I want to know this. My 99 Camry will eventually have to be replaced.

Reply to
sharx35

Don't know, never drove a regular Camry.

See above. I do know that regular gas is about 20+ cents less a gallon than premium. The camry is getting 40+ around town, the Charger SRT8 was good for 14 around town useing premium gas.

Don't really care how long it takes. Compared to the Charger, not long.

Reply to
Roy

"Roy" ...

How many gallons per fill-up? MPG? Just curious. I imagine it's staggering. Why was it great for the interstate driving? Handling? I would think the MPG wouldn't be that much better on the highway.

Then what?! Lighter fluid? I thought you could put any grade of gas into a non-diesel vehicle. Enlighten me.

:-P

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You don't dare put 87 in our BMW. She would not be happy.

Our Camry and truck are entirely another matter.

Reply to
witfal

Thought all beemers were diesel. Guess not.

Okies...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

??? I can't imagine an M3,5, or 6 with a diesel.

As of right now, BMW has no diesel presence in the U.S. This is supposed to change for '08 or '09, and the specs are impressive.

Reply to
witfal

19 gal.

14mpg around town, 18-20 highway depending on speed.

Sorta like driving a 4door Corvette on the highway.

Reply to
Roy

Roy, we *know* that the Camry hybrid is far, far, more fuel efficient than the Charger. ( I used to drive a 74 Challenger Rallye--I know about guzzlers). What I do NOT know is how much less fuel the *hybrid* Camry uses compared to the regular Camry. My suspicion is that one would have to drive the *hybrid* Camry a long, long LONG time to actually pay enough LESS for fuel as you paid MORE for the *hybrid* model. Personally, I will NOT switch to a hybrid of anything until the hybrid price is very VERY little more than the regular model price.

Reply to
sharx35

Why not?

Reply to
sharx35

I know what you mean. My in-laws "big" car is a new Mazda 5 mini-minivan.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Yes. I believe what Art is talking about are the brokers who lied and fraudulently pushed though a loan, while the applicants honest information would have been rejected.

Many times, the applicants had to know the broker was "enhancing" things. Often, many of the great deals didn't add up in simple math, and it was clear as day that the payment would greatly increase. Those folks, with the "We can just re-fi when the payment increases!" and "Real estate ALWAYS goes up!" mentalities are the ones who I have little sympathy for.

I have a 20+ year acquaintance who was quite high up in a sub-prime lender who folded and laid off 1800 at the end of 2006. For years she's been sharing stories of some of the crap brokers would pull to get a shaky loan through. In some cases, but probably a small percentage, disclosure sheets were never provided, pages were removed from documentation, etc...

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Your point? Seems that YOUR mind was already made up well before your ?'s

Reply to
Roy

My point is that the BOTTOM line is what matters. It is foolish to spend MORE for a vehicle than one has to, i.e. Buying a REGULAR Camry, even though it uses a little more gas makes MUCH more sense financially. Why pay MORE than you have to for a vehicle that WILL not be as reliable? Guaranteed, a hybrid vehicle WILL be less reliable than its regular counterpart. Guaranteed.

Reply to
sharx35

Because, despite the impressive performance of the new BMW diesels, they don't come close to the I6, V8, and V10 gas engines in these cars.

Reply to
witfal

If you are truly interested in BOTTOM line then you would probably be better served keeping your 99 camry and making the r&r's as needed. You will improve your BOTTOM line by NO expeniture of cash or no payments, no increase in whatever tax is associated with the purchase, lower insurance, no depreciation.

Oh, I see a regular Camry doesn't fail? Lol! I'd suggest you take a walk into your local Toyota service department and look around at what is in there. Anyway the warranty on the hybrid is pretty extensive, you should read up on it.

Reply to
Roy

Our '98 has been trouble free, EXCEPT for a nasty little total transmission failure at 107K. :-(

A rebuilt from the dealer, and back on the road. She's now got 196K, and still running fine.

Reply to
witfal

Ah...

Good gawd, anyone who has watched the marked over the last 10 years should know better than that!

My son (very briefly) tried to work for some fly-by-night broker that has since gone belly up. A friend of ours is a broker of another company, and is trying to talk my son into joining his group, but of course, my son is quite reluctant...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Thanks for the info.