Lexus Key POS

I have a friend's lexus. This morning when I tried to start it, the key just fell apart in my hand. The key has the remote built in. The case had broken at the stress point where the metal pin goes through the metal key into the plastic case. I have glued it together with gorilla glue, and am currently waiting for the glue to dry to see if it will work at least temporarily until he returns from Europe. My friend had said earlier that the dealer want's 350 bucks for a new key. Poorly designed and cheaply made POS that it is. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Reply to
Wingnut

How many miles on the car?

Perhaps you can get it repaired under warranty.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Try epoxy, and take all of the extra keys and dangly stuff off of the key ring. All that extra junk hanging on the key ring not only tends to break the loop on the key or where the key's shank is attached to the plastic, it puts a lot of wear on the lock pins. For example, on key rings with all the trinkets, photos, and lots of keys, hold the key's shank by the teeth to get an idea of the strain. I keep my car keys on a separate fob from all my other keys and have not experienced a problem with the ignition lock or key.

Reply to
Ray O