License plate lights

I thought my plate lights were burned out so I replaced them with new. However after replacing, neither light worked. I checked the fuses but couldn?t find one labeled for these lights. Any ideas would help.

Reply to
bobbell

The license plate lights are non the tail light circuit. If the fuses are good, check for voltage at the license plate lights. If there is voltage, check the ground points for the lights.

You didn't mention what type of vehicle, but if the license plate lights are on a trunk lid or hatch, make sure the wire are not pinched, cut, or chafed where it flexes and passes near hinges and springs.

Reply to
Ray O

The license plate lamps are on the tail light circuit. First thing is to make sure that the rest of the tail lights still work if you are even thinking about driving at night.

You didn't mention what model or body style of car you have, so I have to give a generic response...

If the license plate is mounted on the trunk or hatch lid, the "Usual Suspect" is where the wires go through the rubber hose by the hinges - the wires flex and break going around the bends, or they get snagged in the hinge and pinched.

Or the plug connector from the hatch harness to the main car wiring harness comes loose right there.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman