Life expectancy of timing belt idler and wheel bearings on '89 Cressida?

I've got the engine at the machine shop and am wondering about the timing belt idler/tensioner pulley. How long would you expect the factory pulley to last? The car has 130k on it. They want over $100 for another, and it appears to be a dealer only item. No other place I've found carries it.

Also, what about the wheel bearings?

Reply to
Doc

130k mi seems reasonable.

60-200k mi.

These sorts of things just wear out. Normal wear and tear items.

Reply to
Jeff

As far as the pulley, you've gone this far, what's another $100?! Esp since the engine is out and it's easy to get to! (we had to remove the radiator from my Supra to get to it and the timing belt...it'sll be cheaper in the long run now...)

OTOH, I have only replaced one idler pulley on all the Toyotas I have owned.

Bearings are easy. Remove the wheel and rotor, pull the bearing and replace. Except the rear, you have to pull the axles to replace the inner bearings. Spin the tires with your hands on them, and if you "feel" 'crunching', replace the bearings. Otherwise, wait till the next brake job.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The problem with most bearings is that they are good UNTIL they fail. In this case I would add up what it takes to get to that pulley IF it fails with the engine in the vehicle. If it is a pain to do then do it now. On the wheel bearings are there signs/symptoms of them being bad? If you rotate them and they feel smooth and have no play and the seals are OK then don't bother. If however you turn them and it feels like your grinding metal then replace them.

Reply to
Steve W.