Limited Slip problem? '88 Supra LSD N/A

Supra. I noticed the other day that there was a new 'problem'. When going from reverse to drive, there was an unnerving *CLUNK* when starting to move forward. Note: I'm not one of those g00fs that leaves the car rolling in reverse and then shifts to drive. The clunk happened a few times over a couple days.

Then, when I was pulling out of a driveway where I could 'peg' it a little, the rear tires were in some sand. I stepped on the gas, the car started going and then there was almost a kind of chattering from the rear end of the car.

Now, this car has Limited Slip, and it also has a competely Independant Rear Suspension (IRS). So I think there's at least one fo two things going on here:

Either the Limited Slip has developed a problem, or one of the CV joints is going bad. I don't notice and clicking or clunking when driving the car in everyday driving, but then again, with 700 Watts, who would? ;)

Any ideas? Oh, two days before this started happening I picked up some GL-5 (supposedly Hypo for *ALL* differentials "Including Limited Slip") since I haven't checked the diff oil for two years. Also, I should check the 'vent' while I'm under there, eh?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'll spare you my standard "noises are difficult to diagnose without experiencing them first hand" spiel

If the sound sounds cushioned like the sound when a suspension bottoms out, then make sure the bolts holding the diff to the undercarriage are good and tight and the rubber bushings haven't gotten hard or developed free-play.

Take a look at the U-joints to make sure there isn't excessive play.

If the sound is very metallic, check diff backlash.

Reply to
Ray O

This has been suggested by someone in the supras.com group.

WHAT U-Joints?!?! Since the AT has been messed up, people have been shifting by moving the lever through the gears. It took me a few weeks to learn how to think like an Autmoatic Treansmission ;). Now I can shift the car like silk, but, alas, it is too late. The U-Joints are shot, and probably every one of them needs replacing. I know what that sounds like.

I also though it was a shock mount, until that day I caught the LSD in the sand...

Not really. Sort of, but more of a clunk.

Reply to
Hachiroku