Loose Hood

I have a 96 Tacoma and there is about 1/8 - 3/16 play in the hood when it's fully latched. When I get up to speeds around 40mph or above the hood shakes and it makes me a little nervous. I'm fairly confident that the latch is going to hold it in place but I would like to figure out how to take up some of the slack in the latch? I've thought about adding longer bumpers under the sides of the hood but there the hood would still sit high. I'd like it to sit flush. Any ideas?

Thanks, Dante

Reply to
Dante

Lower the latch on the radiator crossmember.

Reply to
Ray O

Would I need to drill or cut anything? Is it just a bolt that I should loosen up?

Reply to
Dante

No need to drill or cut, just loosen the 2 bolts that hold the latch, gently tap the latch downwards, then tighten the bolts. If the hood does not latch properly when you shut it, then you have to reverse the process and move the latch up a little.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray, I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Dante

Doesn't the tacoma have the rubber stoppers than you can screw in or out ? my Prizm (corolla) does. Easy adjustment.

Reply to
RT

Moving the rubber stoppers alone won't help...as Ray says you've gotta move the latch itself down, then adjust the stoppers so that the hood is pressing lightly on them when it's fully latched and in the position that you want it.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

It does but they're already all the way out. Also, yesterday I tried adjusting the latch as described above. It's all the way down and still loose.

Reply to
Dante

I've tried everything talked about so far with no change. The stoppers are all the way out and the latch is as low as it can go. I was thinking of removing the latch and then opening up the bolt hole on the right side. It looks like I could probably take another 3/16 of material out so that the latch would sit even lower.

Would there be any problems with doing that? Any suggestions on the easiest way to do that?

Thanks again, Dante

Reply to
Dante

Sounds to me like maybe the 'rubber stops' are so far 'out' that they're not letting the 'main latch' lock...try releasing ONLY the safety catch while lifting gently on the hood...if the hood pops up then you need to do some adjusting ASAP :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a complete idiot.

Reply to
Dante

Well, that's nice to know...incidentally, where did I indicate that you were?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Are you familiar with how far a hood sticks up when the primary latch has been released and the safety latch is the only thing holding the hood down? In my original post, I stated that the hood has this problem when it is FULLY latched. If you were not assuming that I was an idiot, why would you have suggested that the hood was only being held down by the safety latch? Anyway, if you were not intending it to sound that way, no harm done.

Reply to
Dante

Well, I don't recall ever measuring it but it 'sticks up a little' I'd say...maybe a quarter/third of an inch?...

Well son, unless you're a LOT smarter than me then how would you know which latch was holding it?...I suppose you could 'release the main latch' and 'see' it pop up a little then release the safety latch before you could open it...you didn't mention that though did you?...all you tried was futzing around with the rubber bumpers...why would you think that that would help?...gee...

Ok then, with that in mind then, there was no harm done...

A little life lesson for you...not being in possession of knowledge of a particular subject does not make one an idiot...an idiot is a person who takes offense at someone without good reason...especially when that person is trying to help the idiot...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

And a life lesson for you as well. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Trying to be funny by assuming that you are smarter than everyone else is only fun for those who need to compensate for their own inadequacies.

Reply to
Dante

Whatever...hope you can find and fix your problems there...you have several I'd say...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Thanks, oh wise, master of all. You're correct. The sooner you shut up the sooner I'll be down to my original problem.

Reply to
Dante

Gee...sure hope that *I* didn't contribute to your angst...sorry...

Reply to
Gord Beaman