loud noise

2003 Corolla 36K miles

Problem: LOUD humming noise (tranny????) when driving on highway (65 mph). So loud seemed like the car was in a lower gear and I had to pull off highway. Noise seemed to start out gradual and became louder. Happened twice in last month; not a continual prob and not happening right now.

When I pulled off highway I stopped , put car in park, went back into drive and then the problem went away for the rest of my two hour commute at 70 mph.

Reply to
I_Google_I

Yes, it is an AUTOMATIC

Reply to
I_Google_I

In what century did you last check your tranny fluid?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Dealer does all my fluids, prob--- I assume when they did the last oil change, 2 months ago

Reply to
I_Google_I

Some possibilities are, wheel bearing, CV bearing / joint, transmission. Check the transmission fluid like Joe mentioned. Does the noise happen, better / worse, when turning, under load (uphill / downhill)?

Reply to
user

Noises are very difficult to identify and diagnose without hearing them first hand. Of the items Ph@boy mentioned, I would check tire inflation and tire condition first, then transmission fluid condition, then wheel bearings.

At 36K miles, if you are on the orignial tires, they may be pretty worn down by now.

Reply to
Ray O