Loud noise behind dash

I have a 1990 4Runner V6 4x4 with 388,000 km. There was a noise behind the dash that was speed sensitive and very irritating. I had the speedo cable replaced but I still get the noise and the needle jumping around mostly in the morning. What else could it be? It took them 3 hrs to change the cable - not cheap! Please help!

Reply to
marc.baril

I have a 1990 4Runner V6 4x4 with 388,000 km. There was a noise behind the dash that was speed sensitive and very irritating. I had the speedo cable replaced but I still get the noise and the needle jumping around mostly in the morning. What else could it be? It took them 3 hrs to change the cable - not cheap! Please help!

Reply to
Marty

The speedometer itself?...or maybe the gearing where it feeds the lower end of the speedometer cable?...I'm betting on the instrument itself though...can you connect an electric drill to the bottom end?, that'd show you where the problem is.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Speedometer may be bad--I've seen them fail like this.

Reply to
Peter D. Hipson

"Marty" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Might be the aircon ducts that rattle on the bulkhead. But the jumping needle might implicate that the work hasn't been done too seriously :-( Here are more suggestions:

Frank

Reply to
Painless

If the speedometer needle is jumping around then the speedo head is bad.

Reply to
Ray O

Can I replace only the speedo (or broken parts of it) or do I have to replace the whole cluster? Is it a big job?

Reply to
Marty

getting to the speedo is a huge PITA :(

Matt

Did you replace the entire bad speedometer cable? Or did you take the five-minute route and just pull out the broken inner cable and thread the new one in?

It sure sounds easier to just change the inner core, right? But when the old cable core wears out, kinks, whips, and finally disintegrates, it usually screws up the inside of the cable casing, too. Then you have a new cable core turning in a lumpy, uneven casing with wide worn spots full of plastic lining chunks and metal shavings and bits of old destroyed cable - and the new inner cable will die a early death, too.

Even though it's a royal pain in the ass to pull up the carpets, dig out all the clamps and gaskets, and crawl under the car to change the casing, if the old cable broke you really have to replace the whole speedometer cable as a unit.

From the sounds of it, your new cable won't last long.

And if you bought a complete unit and only changed the core? I hate to be the one to tell you, but it's probably too late to pull the new core out of the old casing, and replace the old casing with the new one, you've already screwed up the new core. Go back to the parts counter and bend over again. ;-)

Been there.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Well that settles that: it has to be the speedometer! Try thinking out of the box, instead of getting to the speedometer, maybe pull the entire cluster. Often times this is easier than trying one part.

A good shop/body manual is excellent if it covers this--there are so many things you don't realize... Things like, is there a pushon clip, or a hidden screw holding a trim piece!

Reply to
Peter D. Hipson

Bruce, the cable was CA$120 and it took 3 hours to change it so I am assuming them replaced the whole thing. I am going to disconnect the cable from the speedo this weekend and see if it shuts up!

Reply to
Marty

thinking

Getting either out is a PITA :(

Reply to
web1000

I forget what kind of vehicle but the speedometer head should be separate from the rest of the cluster. The head is not user-serviceable so you have to replace the head.

Reply to
Ray O