Lube every 6 months - based on what reasoning?

Oil change and filter every 5k miles or six months. What if one only drive 4k - 5k per year. I know the old argument about moisture forming in the engine and oil - or is is self preservation for the auto industry. Why would that same moisture not be a problem in oil storage vessels of whatever kind? How about a tighter engine. We all know how oil spoils like milk in just a few days - . Or is it cooling water and oil that mixes like in certain GM products. Just how picky about the exact mileage and day may Toyota be? To my reasoning - it makes sense if oil changes etc. is mileage based more than time based. If it takes somebody two years for 5000 miles so be it.

It used to be "Lube and Oil Change" and the only question was "new filter". The lube part is apparently gone - is it no longer needed anywhere? Part of this service was to check ALL fluid levels and visually inspect everything from belts to hoses clamps etc. and dust off the air filter or replace if needed.

Now - if I'm not mistaken this oil change amounts to remove drain plug, replace filter, dump in 5 quarts and collect a fee. j

Reply to
joe

A byproduct of combustion is water, and some of the gases that result from combustion will leak past the piston rings and enter the crankcase, where the water condenses. To get rid of the water that accumulates in the crankcase, you change the oil. An oil storage vessel is not exposed to combustion gases and so does not accumulate oil.

It depends on the vehicle.

An oil and filter change is just that. Most dealerships will also check fluids air filter, and the general condition of the vehicle while it is in the shop.

Reply to
Ray O

So why every six months? Less combustion = more time for same accumulation. Does the engine need this or does the mechanic?

Do Toyotas not need lube jobs?

joe

The water in the crankcase will start to corrode stuff.

Some do, yours does not.

Reply to
Ray O

Condensation in the oil is a function of heat. The engine attains relatively high temps, and when it cools, condensation forms. The condensation does not form in storage containers.

How about a tighter engine. We all

If it takes 2 years to go 5k miles, then one should be changing the oil at a minimum of once a year.

No. the lube points are sealed these days.

That's pretty much it. What's the point?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Any condensation in the oil evaporates when the oil reaches operating temps.

You should change the filter at least once a year if your filter is able to to. Unless you are doing used oil analysis, then change the oil every year.

Reply to
Andy

Well does it or does it not. One can't have it both ways. I (also) think it does.

I may not be a low mileage candidate the next year or two - shame that the warranty would be voided. T insist on every 6 months or 5k miles.

joe

Whether ALL of the condensate evaporates depends on how much condensate there is, ambient air temperature and humidity, how long the oil is at operating temperature; oil properties; oil additive properties; fuel properties; and engine operating patterns. The large number of variables makes it difficult to make a blanket statement that the oil is good or not without either testing the oil or installing oil change computers/monitors, so the factory makes recommendations that cover most operating situations.

One won't go wrong following the factory recommended service intervals, but if one thinks that one knows more than the folks who designed and built the vehicle, then one is free to follow or ignore those maintenance recommendations.

Reply to
Ray O

We are only talking about 25 bucks and a half hour of time for an oil change on a vehicle that costs many thousands of dollars.

Somehow this does NOT compute....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Unfortunatly, T can't enforce it, becuse of the Magnuson Act. T would have to prove that the extended drain was the cause of engine failure. Now T had issues with sludge...something synthetics oils don't face, because they dont have any wax.

Reply to
Andy

If you use the crappy oil its $25.

Reply to
Andy

Castrol GTX is crapy?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I am in full agreement with Ray on this one. There are simply far too many variables to make a blanket statement about what happens to the condensation. Having said that, the vehicle in question either makes very short trips, or very few trips. If it is the former, then condensation can form but fail to burn off. That is about the only blanket statement that can be made with any degree of certainty.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Really - that is good news to me. Is this widely known - in case law etc??? I will probably be using a very trusted two man shop (non dealer) that only does T and Nissan. I'm just not in the mood to have every orifice kissed and glad handed just to get an oil & filter change. Besides better service I'm counting on them to keep the dealer honest in case of any warranty issues. j

Reply to
joe

I agree totally...it always floors me when I hear a driver say that his car runs just fine on low test fuel and that the manufacturer therefore must be in collusion with the fuel company to maximize profits only!...Keerist!, here's an automobile company worth billions of dollars taking a chance with their reputation and their financial health for the sake of what would have to be a pretty paltry amount. Brilliant.

Sort of like the dum-dum who truly believes that Tim Horton's actually adds some tasteless addictive chemical to increase coffee sales!!...how frickin' stoopit can you get?!?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Its not a full synthetic oil which means its crappy.

Reply to
Andy

Its been around since 1975, not being a lawyer I don't know about any case law.

Just do a Google Search for ' magnusson moss act' and read away

Reply to
Andy

It does not compute for me either!

Reply to
Ray O

Or spider eggs in bubble gum...

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, right. Let me guess, you sell Amsoil?

For the vast majoority of uses, synthetic oil is simply a way for the oil companies to get more of your money.

Use regular oil of a good brand, change it regularly, and you'll have no trouble.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis