Lug nut wrench size for 96 Avalon?

I have to get new lug nuts for my Avalon because some of them were stripped and rounded off. When looking online for lug nuts, I come across two sizes: one is has a 3/4 hex and the other is 17mm (there was a 13/16, too, but I don't think thats right.

What I want to know is, which one of these sizes is correct for the Avalon? I would assume it's the 17mm because most Toyotas employ the metric system when it comes to bolts and nuts on the car. I just want to know which is the correct size so I can order them and will be right, so when I get a flat I won't have trouble fitting the lug wrench to the nut to remove it.

The type of lug nut is an open ended bulge type lug nut.

I hope this isn't too confusing a question, and thank you kindly for any help.

Reply to
Master0fToyz
3/4 and 17mm are equivelent sizes from the perspective of your wrench. I'd go with the 17mm because the thread pitch can be 1mm or 1.25mm.

Here's an idea. Take one lug nut off and carry it into the store where they will have an assortment of nuts and bolts for sale, and you can measure what you have and go around to the other side of the aisle and buy a package that matches the size you have.

Reply to
J Strickland

Thanks for the quick response. I will try that.

Reply to
Master0fToyz
3/4" is not equivalent to 17 mm. 3/4" and 19 mm are very close and for all pratical purposes a 3/4" wrench is interchageable with a 19 mm wrench. The closest inch size to 17 mm is 11/16" but 11/16" is significantly larger tha 17 mm (17mm = 10.71/16"). Toyota's generally use 12mmX1.5 thread size lug nuts. This is the thread size, not the wrench size. I would expect the wrench size for these nuts to be 19 mm (although 18 mm is a possibility).