Matrix owner questions...

Hello all!

I own an 04 Toyota Matrix XRS with 51,000 miles on it. I'm the original owner. This is the first Toyota I've ever owned and will probably own more in the future. I'm really impressed with this car.

But lately, the engine's been doing something interesting when I accelerate. The engine seems to accelerate normally. But if I press too hard on the accelerator, the engine seems to 'race' up about 250 RPMs more and then return to where I started. It's a little hard to explain.

I don't know if Toyota engines normally do this. It's due for an oil change and I'm taking care of that this weekend. I was waiting to get the car to 60k and return to dealership for its maintenance checkup and inspection.

Other than this, the car still feels like a sports car.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

-Alex

Reply to
nightrider.36

sounds like the transmission is kicking out of overdrive or going into the next lower gear. both or normal.

Reply to
Dave Dave

Dave says what I was thinking, but a bit more info is needed. Do you have the AT or the 6-speed? If you have the AT, now would be a good time to drain and fill the tranny, if you haven't already. I would say just check the fluid, but a tranny service might be in order. If you don't want to do this yourself, then check the fluid according to the manual and top off if required.

If you have the 6-speed then things might be a bit more drastic. It sounds like the clutch may be slipping; when going uphill in 4th gear, does the engine start racing with no increase (or worse, a decrease) in speed? If so, you may need a clutch replacement, but I can't really see that unless you are REALLY hard on the clutch!

Reply to
Hachiroku

My XRS is a six speed. At one point, the engine did race without an increase in power. Initially, I thought the clutch might be the problem as well. But I'm really careful with the clutch, or at least I thought I thought I was being careful with it.

The way I shift is that I only press and release the clutch to shift (not trying to be redundant). I almost never downshift. Instead, I place the gear in neutral and coast in with the philosophy that replacing my brake would be cheaper than replacing the clutch.

Admitedly, I do race the engine from a stop into first gear. I do this accidentaly as the accelerator is very sensitive.

What other warning signs should I look for if the clutch is slipping? Or if my car needs a new clutch?

I thought clutches on a Toyota lasted much longer than 50k miles. Unless the way I'm driving is damaging.

-alex

Reply to
nightrider.36

It is difficult to say what the cause is without actually experiencing the condition. A slipping clutch will generally get worse, and the engine will not return to normal RPM without backing off of the throttle.

Check the engine air filter to make sure it is not clogged. Check the black plastic intake tube between the air filter and throttle body for cracks or holes. Carefully remove the MAF sensor at the air filter housing outlet and take a look at the wire inside the tube that sticks into the air flow. The wire should be clean - if it is coated with dirt, clean it with carb cleaner or rubbing alcohol. Be very careful not to break the wire or you will be looking to spend several hundred $ for a new sensor.

Reply to
Ray O

Live near any big hills? Esp on an Interstate. Go up the hill as normal, and press your foot on the gas to keep up speed, in 4th gear. If the tach starts climbing with no increase (or a decrease) in speed, then your clutch is most likely on the way out. Or, on a straight level in third gear, press your foot on the clutch slowly and make a note on the rtach when it starts to climb. If it's less than 3-4 inches, there's something going on.

It may also that the cylinders (master and slave) need bleeding. Also, check what Ray O said. These can be done by yourself in the comfort of your own garage!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I tested my car as you suggested and this is what I noticed. It seems to only lose power as I previously described earl in the morning, when the car is cold. Lately, down here in Southern California, the mornings have been between 45 - 50 deg. Not that cold but cold enough for a sitting engine.

Once thr engine is warmed up, I don't notice a decrease in power as I described.

Reply to
nightrider.36

After re-reading your first post and this one, it does not sound like a clutch problem because clutch problems are not temperature related.

I'll stick with what I recommended before:

Check the engine air filter to make sure it is not clogged. Check the black plastic intake tube between the air filter and throttle body for cracks or holes. Carefully remove the MAF sensor at the air filter housing outlet and take a look at the wire inside the tube that sticks into the air flow. The wire should be clean - if it is coated with dirt, clean it with carb cleaner or rubbing alcohol. Be very careful not to break the wire or you will be looking to spend several hundred $ for a new sensor.

I understand why you think 45 ~ 50 degrees is cold. When I moved from Chicago to San Francisco, I used to think that the people wearing down jackets, hats, and gloves when the temperature went down to 60 were wimps, since that is still T-shirt and shorts weather to a Chicagoan. After about a year, I had become acclimated to the nice California weather and joined the ranks of wimps wearing winter jackets when the temps dipped into the

60's.
Reply to
Ray O

cold... About two years ago, I visited my in-laws in Green Bay Wisconsin. I was raised in Southern Ca. That was a new kind of cold for me - *bitter*. I now have respect for GB Packer fans.

thanks for the tips. I'll try not to destroy my engine. I keep wanting to sell my XRS and then I change my mind when I drive out around. I really, really like this little car.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
nightrider.36

Green Bay does get a tad chilly ;-)

Let us know what you find.

Reply to
Ray O

They are AWESOME! Same output as the Celica, 6-speed tranny, and a neat little wagon to boot. I got to drive a couple of XRS' when I was working at a Toy dealer last year, and they were something. I think '05 or '06 was the end of them IIRC...The best you can do now is an XR

Reply to
Hachiroku