matrix vs. pontiac vibe

Anyone here know of any sugnificant differences between the Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe besides the obvious body styling ones? Thanks!

Reply to
gad

Mechanically, they are the same (Toyota running parts). I don't know what's different on the inside.

Matrix has a longer powertrain warranty (5yrs/60k vs 3yrs/36k). And although it actually costs a bit less than the Vibe, the Matrix will have higher resale value, which is important if you change cars every few years.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Matrix has more Delco parts :(

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sure, the total drive home price can be thousands less for the Vibe. Pontiac dealers are less likely to add a bunch of high priced dealer add-ons and they are much more likely to offer higher discounts and trade prices, as well a offer lower interest rates than Toyota dealers. That is probably why the Vibe outsells the Matrix by such a wide margin. Don't fall for any of the one is better crap, they are basically the same vehicle except for trim, no matter who tries to tell you something different.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Search Automotivenews.com

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Whatsup

Hmmm...I believe they are built side by side in the same plant in Cambridge, ONT. But you're right about the parts.

Reply to
Hachiroku

That may be your opinion but it is not so, you are looking at MSRP vs. used retail. If you compare the TRUE cost of each when new, the total drive home price, you will see the Vibe value used in actually higher than the Matrix as a percentage of the original drive home price. The same is true of many other Toyota models used values when compare to the actual drive home price vs. many of its competitors models.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Any idea what parts in particular? The engine in the Vibe I looked at had Toyota written all over it (literally). Even the oil filter was Toyota.

Reason I ask: We looked at a Matrix on the same day, and the Toyota salesperson implied that the Vibe was inferior, mostly due to "strengthening beams" in the doors and roof that are left out of the Vibe. I don't take this assertion at face value, obviously. On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me much if GM cut corners somewhere.

Reply to
gad

Like someone here said, Toyota's partnering with GM kind of backfired. Instead of GM learning how to build cars that last, Toyta has learned to build cars that aren't as good as they once were...

Reply to
Hachiroku

It sure looks like you're wrong, again:

2006 Pontiac Vibe: $16,430
2003 Pontiac Vibe: $10,021
10,021/16,430 = 61%

2006 Toyota Matrix: $15,110

2003 Toyota Matrix: $10,717
10,717/15,110 = 71%

I leave open the possibility that Toyota and Pontiac price points have shifted over the past few years. Care to back your claim?

Reply to
dh

Obviously you were not a math major ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Not that clever are you? Which one of those two cars seems like a better deal to you again? LOL

Reply to
Knotty

Oh? Point out the error. My assumption here, in case it wasn't clear, is that the Pontiac and Toyota hit similar relative price points back when first introduced. So, as a percentage of value retained, this calculation is a valid guide. Point out the error or refute the assumption. Provide evidence.

DH

By your figures, it looks like the Vibe lost a slightly higher percentage of its purchase price than the Matrix.

Reply to
Philip

You have not purchased a new vehicle lately it appears. You might want to educate yourself. Go get a total drive home price on a Vibe and Matrix from dealers in your area then get back to us. NADA list a Matrix at $1,000 more used than a Vibe but it cost more than $2,500 more to drive home when new. Therefore the Vibe returns more in dollars as well as a higher percentage of the original drive home price

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I have. I bought a Matrix in January for less than an equivalent Vibe. I got a 2005 XR 4WD, tire and wheel insurance(Chicago potholes), and 4 years of oil changes and tire rotations for under $20,000 including all taxes and fees. You might stick to GM groups. Don't bother replying. I won't be able to see it anymore.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

Edmunds lists the "what other people are paying" price for the Matrix as LOWER than the Vibe. This includes a rebate for the Vibe but no rebate for the Matrix. Edmunds has the Vibe at about $700 more.

That's a curious place to cut off the post. What happened to the Toyota info? Let's get it back.

These links show you MSRP::

2006 Pontiac Vibe: $16,430
2003 Pontiac Vibe: $10,021
10,021/16,430 = 61% 2006 Toyota Matrix: $15,110
2003 Toyota Matrix: $10,717
10,717/15,110 = 71%

Sooo, if the Vibe costs more up front and the Matrix is worth more after three years... Well, I guess I'd pick the Matrix to save money.

If you want to adjust the comparison go to those links and ask Edmunds for "price with options" and then the "tmv pricing report." I didn't select any options on either vehicle. If you'd like to refute something, post evidence.

Reply to
dh

I am a loyal Toyota buyer, I made a vow to not buy anything off the Toyota lot ...... SO ...... I just bought a 2006 Vibe.

Edmunds gives base prices. The Vibe base comes standard with some things the Matrix does not. The only additions to the Vibe were the Power Package (door locks w/remote entry, windows, cruise).

Do not have the exact numbers in front of me right now, but when adding the "stuff" to make the cars the same ...... Matrix was a bit more expensive.

The other factors:

1) Local Toyota dealer can't even get Scions, Corollas & Matrixes to put on the lot. 4 to 6 week wait after ordering.

2) When they did get a car; GONE.

3) Toyota won't deal on price ..... Don't have to.

4) Vibe sticker was $19,150. Walked out (after rebates, discounts, & TTL) at $17,850.

5) Similar Matrix would be ~$20,500 + TTL.

6) Vibe available in Salsa color, Matrix not.

7) Pontiac dealership more personable. Call owner at home with any problems.

So far so good. 2 tanks, both 25 mpg in city. Will test the highway MPGs this weekend.

Reply to
Ripley

Does anyone know whether the Vibe and the Matrix look exactly the same?...year for year I mean...

Reply to
Gord Beaman