Matrix vs. Yaris 3-dr ?? can't decide!

Hi all,

Ok. I need to replace my current vehicle with something that's functional, cool, and great on fuel. I'm 34, single, male and have a long commute to work. I need something comfortable (I drive a Volvo now, and it's quite comfortable).

I like both the Matrix XR and Yaris- RS 3dr.

However, they are priced $2500 apart (Canadian). Umm... That's not much!! So if I put $10K down, and made payments for the rest---- it would be a difference of $50/month. (manual transmissions). I won't lease one, I drive WAY over the limit that the lease allows for it to be beneficial to me.

That kinda makes me wonder which car to buy! Both are neat.

Which would you prefer? (this question will most likely go out to Canadian drivers, since the Yaris 3-door isn't available in the US yet).

I'd buy a Scion xB in a heartbeat, but of course, Scion isn't in Canada... and yeah, dealers are selling them at a super premium (a Matrix XR is about $25K with tax, ummm... the xB is selling for $27K at KenShaw (local dealer) BEFORE TAX!! ouch. )

Reply to
M.R.S.

cool, and great on fuel.

I have a Pontiac Vibe (same as Matrix) and I love it. Fun to drive, lots of room inside. No experience with a Yaris. If gas mileage is one of your main priorities, though, why not look at the Corolla, Prius or even (am I allowed to say this on a Toyota group?) the Honda Civic/Civic hybrid? Are those not "cool" enough? Good luck, Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

Yaris sounds like a Russian name (I think Boris). This would be enough for me to say no way! I know that its a combination of German YA, and Paris or something like that - but still - semantics are too important.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

hehe... at least it sounds better than Echo Hatchback-back back back.....

Car names aren't that important to me, well, unless it's a Lada (hmmm, I wonder how Russian cars are now!!)

Reply to
M.R.S.

Thanks Andy,

I drove a Vibe, and yes, it was quite nice.

I don't think the Corolla is much better on fuel (if any) than a Vibe/Matrix. The Matrix is only slightly worse than the Yaris on fuel, but not by much.

Hybrids don't turn me on in any way. I want something FUN to drive ;)... I've raced cars for years (GT), and I prefer small zippy cars that handle well. A Hybrid won't offer much return on the $$$ (especially when a Prius costs upwards of $30K Canadian new!) The only real benefit is that it uses less fuel (better for reserves), and pollutes less.

The Yaris will pollute less than a Matrix, just by a bit though.

The US will get the Yaris hatchback soon, but not the complete line. Seems Canada will have the RS and other cool models (5door as well).

I have a few more months to decide :)

Cheers

Reply to
M.R.S.

I had the 'pleasure' of driving one of those wonderful pieces of Automotive Engineering! Reminded me of a Cruiseliner: spin the wheel 100 times to turn, and throw out the anchor to try to stop it!

What happens when to take a lousy Fiat and build it in Russia? A Lada crop!

I also got to drive a Pony and the other Hyundai (Stellar?) offered at the time. No wonder they waited to come to the US. Although the Pony was kind of a cool car.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I tried both and opted for the Matrix TRD, and so far i'm very satisfied. The difference in gas milleage is by far offsetted by the better motor and overall looks of the car. I have no regrets. This is my 3rd new toyota, my first Camry is 12 years old and going strong

Reply to
indep