Me teach bass?

A week ago, my son said that a 19 year old coworker of his just began playing bass. He wants me to teach him something. This is weird. I don't read music. I've had no formal music training, other than sax lessons that ended when I was in 8th grade, 4000 years ago. I just know what I know, ya know? My left hand positions are nothing like what's taught anywhere on earth, although a trained bassist is pushing me in a better direction.

I pointed out to my son that since he reads music fluently, a better idea might be a good bass book for his friend, and for him to help the kid with music reading. That idea didn't fly (yet). I told him I'd consider the idea, but reminded him that the kid would probably be learning some bad habits from me. As of this morning, I'm 93% of the way to caving in and saying yes.

What the hell do I teach the kid? My first instinct is to teach him some basic blues patterns, but maybe the first step is scales and neck patterns, which brings us back to the idea of a book.

All input welcome. Hurry. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Ha! Wrong NG! Ignorez-vous this message.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Don't fret about it.

Reply to
witfal

{drum crash!}

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm going to bow out of this...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, people want me to teach them, too.

I tell them to find someone that *KNOWS* what he's doing and pay them instead. They'll learn the *proper* way.

Reply to
Hachiroku

First label the topic OT.

Second pay me the half million dollars you owe me, putz....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

KMFAYLAH

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I'm wondering why he's so enthused about bass. I got into it because I loved the bass lines played by Lee Michaels and Steve Winwood, both of whom were playing with their feet, on Hammond organs*. But, it was clear that a Hammond organ wasn't going to fit my dorm room or my car, so bass guitar was what happened. I picked songs I wanted to play, and learned them. Not sure why this kid's not doing the same thing.

Useless trivia: Steve Winwood insured his feet with Lloyd's of London, to cover lost income to his band in the event of an accident. Apparently, he didn't think a bassist could ever take over.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not that you were ever taken seriously to begin with, but you're sinking even lower with every message you post. Keep it up, and even the other musketeers will be ignoring you soon.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Guitar, piano (veeerrrryyy rusty)

Reply to
witfal

When are you going to pay up? You will never be taken seriously by anyone if you make a claim then won't back it up. I wanted to respect you for your integrity but now I don't know about that anymore. However if you are willing to do what you said you would then I will truly respect you from now on.

Reply to
badgolferman

What does HE like?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Steve Harris and Pete Way grabbed me.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

John Entwhistle

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I read schematics.

You forgot the OT bud.

The horn is nice, but I like the piano. More versatile.

Reply to
dbu,.

I think you are trying to cover up a debt.

Reply to
dbu,.

Buy/rent the DVD "Victor Wooten: Live At Bass Day '98". Watch the extra features, where he explains his technique and theory on practicing. The rest of the DVD has some pretty amazing bass work.

Reply to
Doc Shock

I play hammered dulcimer and washtub bass these days. I also play a wooden frog monthly as a rhythm setter. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I *ALMOST* traded a Dan Armstrong bass for a hammered dulcimer.

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B