More '03 Corolla questions...

I have three questions concerning my 2003 Corolla with 169,000 miles on it-

Ray, you provided me instructions on how to replace the front brake pads and they helped me immensely. If its not to much trouble can you do the same for my rear shoes, and how to adjust them?

The rubber boots around the front struts have split apart (which isn't surprising after 6 years) and one seems to have run up inside the upper part of the strut. What is a good course of action to take? How ling do struts normally last? The car runs great and I would like to hold onto it for some time to come.

Transmission. In another post I mentioned that I am uncertain if Jiffy Lube put the correct transmission fluid in. While I am not experiencing any problems I wonder if it is worth my time to drain and refill. Thoughts?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
BM5680

Have a look here:

Rear brake technology hasn't changed for a while now...

Change the struts. And have a look at the cup holding the spring at the bottom to ensure it's not rusting. If they are in good shape you can get gas strut 'inserts' that are a shock absorber that fits inside the strut.

If the struts are good (after 6 years....?) you can get a replacement boot at Autozone.

How long ago was this? Did they do a flush 'n fill?

These places use a One-Size-Fits-All Dexron/Mercon type fluid which should be fine for your car. However, I wouldn't take a Chrysler to them since they said "We use a basee transmission fliud and add modifiers for different cars." On Chryslers, the main reason for transmission failure is the wrong type of tranny sauce. Since it's a Dexron/Mercon base, it should be OK. If you're paranoid, get the correct stuff from the dealer or a parts store, eight or so quarts should suffice, and remove the drain plug/pan, drain as much as will come out and refill. Drive for a couple thousand miles. If everything's OK, you're good. If you're STILL paranoid, do it again. There are up to 20 quarts of fluid in the transmission, and it will take many drain 'n fills to replace it. My experience is *NOT* to flush the tranny, but do regular maintenance on it. I was working at a Used Car Dealer and we had bad times with flushes on Escorts with Mazda ATs that wouldn't run after a flush.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku's response, including the link to the Autozone page, is pretty good.

The only things I would add...

Follow the instructions in the Autozone link on how to adjust the brakes. There is a black oval shaped rubber plug on the inboard side of the backing plate. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to turn the star wheel. You will hear it clicking as you turn it. When the brakes are properly adjusted, the wheel should turn between one and one and a half revolutions when you spin the wheel and tire, and the left and right sides should turn the same amount when spun with the same amount of force.

If the bottom casing on the struts are dry and don't look like there is oil leaking, then I wouldn't worry about them. If you do decide to get the struts replaced, check out the prices at the local Toyota dealer since they have lifetime parts and labor warranty on OEM parts.

I am not a fan of Jiffy Lube type quick oil change places because I have seen lots of vehicles with damaged engines and transmissions from improperly done oil changes. Jiffy Lube got caught scamming customers in the LA area - google "Jiffy Lube scam" to see a video from a Los Angeles area news station.

Reply to
Ray O

Jiffy Lube only did a drain and fill, no flush. I foolishly asked their advice, they said to flush but I thought about and asked for just the drain and refill. This was about 2 months ago.

Reply to
BM5680

This is a good thing. This means no matter what they put in, there's ~8 quarts or less.

I don't know if you like crawling around under a car with warm oil coming out of it, but you can drain and fill the tranny yourself no problem. I think your car has a drain plug so you don't have to take off the pan (and save yourself a *BIG* mess.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, if the Jiffy Lube you brought your car to did work like the one in this video:

then yourtransmission would be fine because they didn't touch it. Check your receipt- it should list the quantity and type of fluid used (or at least that they charged you for).

Reply to
Ray O

I like this one:

Hachiroku

I'm surprised that they allow customers to pull into the bays!

Reply to
Ray O