More on bald rear tires

Spoke to the dealer. The dealer actually did an alignment right before I got the new tires. Imagine that.

Anyway, the rear tires are bald on the OUTSIDE edge and have some tread but much less than the front on the rest of the tire.

The dealer said the TOE was off. That was what they were supposed to have adjusted in the alignment. Can an alignment come seriously out of alignment by going over a bump or something (not that I drive recklessly, I don't). Both rear tires have the same problem which makes me think they screwed it up.

Can Wal-Mart redo the alignment? Or is that just a specialty thing?

I'll probably need new rear tires after 12K miles. Unbelieveable.

Reply to
st-bum

Go to a good tire store that has a 4 wheel alignment machine.

Have the tires removed and reversed on their rims, then switch the rims between right and left rear. Switching direction and swaping together means they'll still be rolling the same direction but the opposite side will wear. You'll get a second 12K.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

If just the outside edges of the tires are worn, the cause could be toe or camber out of adjustment. Looking at how the tires are worn would tell whether it is toe or camber.

If Wal-Mart has a 4 wheel alignment machine, then they should be able to do the alignment. I have no experience dealing with Wal-Mart's technicians so I do not know whether they are likely to do a good job or not.

I prefer to have alignments done at the dealership or at a place that specializes in tire sales.

Reply to
Ray O

Going OVER bumps ought not throw the alignment out, slamming sideways into bumps will hose your alignment though. given your description, I'm inclined to think the dealer (alignment shop) screwed something up.

Yes, of course WalMart can do the alignment. Can they do a good job? That seems to be just as possible as the dealer doing a bad job.

WalMart sells tires too.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Both rear tires were out in the same manner. The "toe" (I think) was off by "2 inches". They are bald on the outer 2 inches of the tire. The rest of the tire (rear tire) is worn more than the front but not bald.

I took it to another tire place, and they fixed it. It drives much better now, rolls much easier. I think my mileage will go up, I'll let you know. Before it went from 36-37 to 32 with the new tires.

Those bastards at the dealer screwed it up, I'm pretty sure.

Reply to
st-bum

If the toe was off by 2 inches, then you were fortunate to get 10,000 miles out of the tires!

Reply to
Ray O