Motor and Transmission Mounts

Yesterday, while backing my 97 Camry (approx. 74,500 miles) into a parking space I heard small pops/clicks coming from near the front right tire every second or so the car was in reverse. Later in the day,

when I was pulling the car out of a spot in reverse, I heard the same small clicks or pops. I have only heard these sounds when the car is in

reverse. After looking at some of the posts here, I thought it might be the boot or CV joint. When I took the Camry into a local chain mechanic, they said that the noise was the engine banging into the firewall and that the motor and transmission mounts needed to be replaced. They said that the boots were fine. They said that they could only replace all these mounts with original Toyota parts. They quoted me a price of $500 for the parts and $250 for the labor and asked for a deposit of $200 for the parts. Does their diagnosis and the

price quoted sound right? Should I get a second opinion?

Reply to
johnpcollinsjr

You should get a second opinion also. The dogbone and front motor mount are relatively easy to replace. The rear one is difficult and may be worth it to have someone else do it.

I bought motor mounts for my 94 Camry from local and online parts stores. The two hydraulic ones were aftermarket and cost around $80 or so. The Toyota dealer replaced the rear one for me using my mount for something like $100.

Reply to
badgolferman

To clarify the problem, the Camry makes a couple of popping sounds when in reverse and only when when being driven counter clockwise in reverse.

Reply to
johnpcollinsjr

If the engine and transmission is hitting the firewall, you would see dents in the firewall. I have never seen this happen.

Clicks in reverse may also be caused by aftermarket brake pads

Reply to
Ray O

That does sound like a failing CV joint (rather than the boot).

Reply to
NeedforSwede2