My 02 Highlander and my 08 on same trip

I had to take a trip to NW Idaho last week due to a family illness - I took this same trip several times in our 02 Highlander but usually in better weather. As all know, the 08 is larger, heavier, quieter and much more powerful. 02 was a base awd and the 08 is a limited awd.

The 8 days we were up there it was never above freezing and most of the way back to Redding was same.

In the 02, the ride was harder on the butt - the 08 is better and ass didn't get near as sore.

The big thing was, IMHO was the difference in mileage. In the 02, the best I recall getting was 23.2 with usually in 22 range. Up and back I never got less than 22.8 and on the run from Madras, Or to Redding, Ca I got 25.3. I know, at this savings I'll be 150 before I can pay for the new one. It was just interesting to me they can get better mileage with more power and heavier vehicle. Be interesting to me to see if I get the bit of jump in mileage at about 15k that we've got with the other Toyotas we've had.

Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

You probably should check the odometers for accuracy on both vehicles. And unless you are calculating the average over 3 or 4 tank fulls, I would not expect the accuracy to be any better than +/-2 mpg. However, the EPA estimates match your experiences. For a 2008 4WD V6 Highlander, the EPA numbers are 17 city, 23 highway, 19 combined. For a 2002 4WD V6 Highlander, the EPA numbers were 16 city, 21 highway, 18 combined (all ratings are using the "new" rating system).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The 2002 Highlander has an 4 speed automatic transmission, while the 2008 has a 5 speed transmission. More gears allows more overdrive.

Reply to
Ray O