My 2002 Carolla...noises and oil leak?

My 2002 Carolla has an oil leak but nobody has been able to find where it is. We know that it isn't burning the oil...it just somehow disappears. Along with that when I drive from college and back home (130 miles) it makes this really annoying noise...I'm not sure how to describe it but its constant and my dad thought it was when my A/C is on but it does it no matter what. Its a deeper noise and it isn't knocking I do know that. My parents want to fix it but I think it maybe too much money. Also for over a month my check engine light has been on and it has never done that before in all the years we've had the car. Does anyone know what it could be?

Reply to
Katie Holmlund

You have 3 separate issues with your car, so it is easiest to diagnose them separately.

1) Regarding the loss of oil, how do you know that it isn't burning the oil? Have you checked the engine coolant level and condition? Does the coolant have an oily or milk-shake appearance? What is the condition of the spark plugs? How quickly is the oil disappearing in terms of time and mileage? 2) Noise, vibration, and harshness are difficult to diagnose without experiencing them first hand. Engine noise can come from improper valve adjustment, a piece of debris in one or more combustion chambers, worn crankshaft or connecting rod bearings, low oil pressure, improper ignition timing, carbon build-up, worn rings, worn cylinders, bad accessory bearings, loose or worn timing chain or belt, and probably a few other things I can't think of off hand.

I recommend that you have a competent automotive technician listen to the sound.

3) There are hundreds of possible causes for the check engine light illumination so anything anyone suggests is pure guess work, which is the most expensive and useless diagnostic method. Some auto parts stores allow you to borrow an OBD II code reader so if you want to attempt diagnosis, get the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) numbers, write them down, and post them here. I can tell you what to check based on the DTC's. In the mean time, check to make sure that you tighten your gas cap until you hear it click.
Reply to
Ray O