My Camry Healed Itself

A while back I posted for help with my leaky factory sunroof. It had been leaking for over a year. But I didn't have time to check the (I'm sure, helpful) responses.

I haven't had time to attempt to fix the SR either, But recent heavy rains have proven the sunroof no longer leaks !?!

Maybe it was all the vitamin water=AE I've been drinking lately..? I may have spilled some in there..

But seriously why would a SR leak and then all of a sudden , stop..? I don't think I could be closing it improperly for over a year..?

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I haven't had time to attempt to fix the SR either, But recent heavy rains have proven the sunroof no longer leaks !?!

Maybe it was all the vitamin water® I've been drinking lately..? I may have spilled some in there..

But seriously why would a SR leak and then all of a sudden , stop..? I don't think I could be closing it improperly for over a year..?

Perhaps the drain tubes unclogged.

Reply to
tww1491

In plumbing applications, it is widely said that galvanized pipe will "heal itself" in time if the split isn't too severe. What actually happens is that minerals/gunk builds up and can cause an amazingly strong plug...sometimes.

However, it is not something I would rely on. In your case, I am sure something similar has happened, but, as said, I would not rely on it as a long-term thing.

Reply to
timbirr

Ahh...the holistic approach. Always good when you don't have to pull a wrench.

But it could have been the drain tubes, or a piece of leaf or twig that somehow got in between the seal. You might want to try gently wiping down the seal and then using spray silicone on it.

You didn't mention the year of your Camry, but on the newer ones, if you for some reason were to ever remove the battery cables, I believe that you must re register (owners manual) the sunroof and windows for auto features. That is a possibility of it not closing properly. Just a thought.

Reply to
user

I recognition for being a very good boy...., Santa had one of his elves fix it.

Reply to
F.H.

In plumbing applications, it is widely said that galvanized pipe will "heal itself" in time if the split isn't too severe. What actually happens is that minerals/gunk builds up and can cause an amazingly strong plug...sometimes.

However, it is not something I would rely on. In your case, I am sure something similar has happened, but, as said, I would not rely on it as a long-term thing.

*************** The drain tubes are plastic, not galvanized pipe. Most likely, as TMM1491 mentioned, something was obstructing one or more of the drain tubes, and the obstruction dislodged itself.
Reply to
Ray O

Then, why haven't they fixed YOU, Frank?

{All the Best of the Season and New Year to you!}

Reply to
sharx35

I didn't know there were drain tubes involved. I'm a former auto tech. I guess we can REALLY emphasize 'former'. (1980's) ..?

Where are the drain tubes..?

When it 'was' leaking it was coming in the headliner and running down the A pillar to the floor. The headliner was so good at water retention that I had originally thought it was coming from a driver's side (lower point) door seal.

The headliner never driped down on me. Instead the water ran to the A pillar and followed it to the driver's side floor.

Love my '01 Camry (135k miles) in spite of it all.

Thanks for the entertaining and informative responses..

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

The drain tubes are toward the rear of the sunroof channels. They go theought he rear sidewall and down through the left & rear cubby holes of the trunk. If you pull out the covers where the jack is kept you will see the tube going through there and eventually it drips out behind the rear wheel.

Reply to
badgolferman

Re: My Camry 2001 Healed Itself-drain tubes? Group: alt.autos.toyota Date: Sun, Dec 23, 2007, 8:55am From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (badgolferman) The drain tubes are toward the rear of the sunroof channels. They go theought he rear sidewall and down through the left & rear cubby holes of the trunk. If you pull out the covers where the jack is kept you will see the tube going through there and eventually it drips out behind the rear wheel.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

While I've seen evidence of the tubes in the trunk, where are they visable on or near the SR?

Reply to
Charles Pisano

The factory sunroofs have 4 drain tubes: 1 in each of the A pillars and 1 in each of the C pillars. If you open the sunroof and look from outside the vehicle, you should be able to see the drain holes in the sunroof track at the A pillars. If your car has a power antenna in the rear, the antenna will also have a drain tube at the bottom of the mast.

Reply to
Ray O