My new car was made in Detroit!

...and it's a Corolla! I was really surprised when I looked at the sticker and the plant listed was Detroit.

When did Toyota start making cars in Detroit?

FWIW, fit and finish seem just as good as my Canadian-made Matrix or my wife's old 95 NUMMI Corolla. It drives beautifully, but with only 140 miles on the odometer so far I can't really comment on reliability just yet.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

AFAIK, Toyota does not have a plant in Detroit. What does the sticker actually say and which sticker?

Reply to
Ray O

Maybe it was a part made in Det or the window was made in Detroit? wonder!

Reply to
Go Mavz

dont they have a manufacturing plant in Los Angeles

Reply to
Go Mavz

This may be *way* off, but could Detroit have been its point of entry into the US?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

You may be right. The sticker says port/plant, but I know it's not a Japanese car because the VIN doesn't start with a J (it starts with a 2.)

Could it be Canadian?

Reply to
Sean Elkins

No.

Toyota has vehicle assembly plants in Georgetown, KY, Princeton, IN, San Antonio, TX, and Cambridge, ON.

Another plant is being built in MS and Toyota has a JV in the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA.

Reply to
Ray O

Very possible!

Reply to
Ray O

Yes. If the first number is a 2, it's Canada.

Reply to
Dave L

Yeah, that's a Canadian car. 1=US, 2=Canada, 3=Mexico, 4=US, 5=US.

What you saw on the sticker was the port of entry into the US.

Reply to
Hachiroku

That would make geographical sense to me - port of entry Detroit, coming in from Canada. I think (can't swear to it) my last 3 Corollas were made in Canada (first one may've been 100% Japanese; not sure anymore).

Now I'll see what others have to say...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Sometimes I amaze myself! ;-) (Although it's all too often the other way around - the amazement. )

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

If you had an 80-something Corolla it was made in Japan. If it was a Geo Prizm, then it was made in Calif.

I remember you pointed out a pic one time, and IIRC it was a Japanese made car.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Okay - thanks; that was my '84 liftback. I *thought* it was made in Japan, but then realized I could've been mixing it up with my '76 Datsun (which had stickers w/Japanese characters/writing in it.)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

You had one of those funky looking 4-door , didn't you? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I had the one you liked least of its various models. (It had a slightly rounded profile to the hatch area). But after seeing the lot of pics your had found, I liked mine the best. :-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Yes, a '2' means it was built in Canada.

The plant in Cambridge, Ontario that builds the Matrix also builds the Corolla. All Corollas sold in Canada are made there. My father and brother own Canadian-assembled 2004 and 2005 Corollas respectively, and both have been extremely reliable as expected. So your Corolla will be fine.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Actually, I thought it was kind of cool looking (remember, I like quirky looking Jap cars...) and almost bought one in 1985. The only one on the lot was a diesel.

I tried to buy one a couple years ago but the guy wouldn't part with it.

Reply to
Hachiroku