Need a scan tool for a '91 corolla

I have a '91 Toyota Corolla base model (no PS, A/C, PW, PL, Nothing) with an 4/AFE engine ~160,000 miles on it. I am trying to find a scan tool to get info on how my engine is running. Anybody know where one can find a list of what cars have what OBD protocols? If anybody does know what protocol my car uses that would be helpful as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian

The on-board diagnostics for a 91 Corolla are much more basic than the current OBD II vehicles. You do not need a scan tool to check trouble codes. Find the diagnostic port - it will be marked "diagnostic" and will be either under the driver's side of the dashboard or under the hood near the fuse box. With a paper clip or stiff wire, connect the Tc and E1 terminals, switch the ignition to the on position without starting the car, and count the check engine light blinks. If it flashes steadily, then no trouble codes are stored.

Reply to
Ray O

Until what year can you do this ? I have a 96 Geo prizm with the 1.6 engine and thought this is obdII ? Have any good websites with references ?

Reply to
RT

1996 and later are all OBDII. Some vehicles had this introduced a little earlier.

Greg.

Reply to
Greg

All cars were required to have OBD-II for 1996, although some had it before then.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit