Need help figuring out cold engine noise? Corolla

A few weeks ago. I noticed when starting my car there is a loud roaring noise coming from under the hood. When the car is cold and I accelerate it is very noticeable. But when the car is fully warmed up things quiet down. I had a tune up last week, and I asked the mechanic to make note of the noise. He told me nothing sounded out of the ordinary. He did mention that there was some smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I think it is the exhaust system. But I know nothing about cars. I plan on going to a mechanic and asking them to check the exhaust system. But I wanted to post here to help pinpoint what might be the problem. I don't want to get ripped off when the mechanic says the whole system needs replaced. When it maybe a loose hanger or something petty that I can fix myself.

Reply to
Tony

Knowing what year and model would be a big help!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Noises and sounds are difficult to accurately diagnose without actually hearing them.

It would help to know which model Corolla, model year, mileage, and maintenance and repair history.

Reply to
Ray O

It is a '96 Corolla. 113,123 miles. Never had any major problems with it.

Reply to
Tony

Your best bet is to take it to a Toyota dealer, leave it overnight, and re-visit in the morning so that a technician or service advisor can hear the noise.

Reply to
Ray O

Check to make sure that the radiator is at the correct level by removing the radiator cap while cold and checking it visually. Make sure that the coolant makeup/overflow container is at the correct level when cold as well. Noises are very difficult to diagnose just by a description. Like Ray said, take it to the dealer and leave it overnight, and hopefully it will do it with the doctor there in the morning.

Reply to
user

Does that car have a belt driven cooling fan?

If it does that might just be normal operation of the fluid coupling that drives the fan blade. When you first start a cold engine it grabs a lot of air right at first and makes lots of air noise and then quiets down.

Try starting your car with the hood up and listening.

Reply to
Danny G.