Need serious help on 1996 Corolla.

I love my car...it acts like it is getting hot, but when nearly red linning it takes 10 min to cool down to normal...so I thought I'd replace the thermostat. I thought it was on the engine where the upper radiator hose connects in...all I find is a housing with a gasket, and a cavern...no thermostat. Can someone tell me where the thermostat is supposed to be??? After I replaced the thermostat my next thing is to check the fans.......I'm not a nut case, really..I'm a widow and try to save $ where I can...but I guess this shouldn't have been one of them. Ricia

Reply to
ricia

Toyota thermostats are where the bottom radiator hose connects to the engine.

Exactly opposite of most other cars.

Scott in Florida

Save this post for the next time someone says you don't have anything to offer regarding fixing Toyotas.

Reply to
badgolferman

Does the car overheat only in stop and go conditions, or at highway speeds as well?

Reply to
user

That really was from Ray....

I pay attention to Ray and since he is on vacation, I gave the answer he would have...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

You are looking at the wrong hose. The thermostat points to ward the drivers side fender. I think you are looking at the hose that goes to the front of the car. Wrong one. I made the same mistake a while back. Check the other one.. A little bit harder to get to but if you remove the airbox and hoses first it is much easier.

Reply to
RT

I'm back! My hands still smell fishy from cleaning all those fish; my mosquito bites still itch; the eagles, wolf, and moose I saw were awesome; I found my wife in the woods after her 1/2 hour stroll with my friend's wife turned into an 8 hour adventure lost on the trails; saw a few shooting stars. The only thing I missed was the northern lights and a bear sighting.

To the OP: Check the location that Scott suggests, make sure the coolant level is somewhere between the "cold" and "hot" marks on the coolant overflow bottle, make sure that the coolant is translucent and not muddy, rusty, or oily in appearance, and while you are changing the thermostat, replace the radiator cap. If the coolant is more than 2 years old, replace it. Make sure the cooling fans come on when the temperature gauge is registering hot, and make sure the radiator fins are not clogged with dirt or leaves.

Reply to
Ray O

Hey! look who's back! Have fun? If it smells like fish...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Finally got the fishy smell off of my fingers ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

We don't really need to know about your sex life here...

Reply to
badgolferman

I'm married...

the smell was from fish.