Need some advice on Toyota seatbelts, please

Hi Toyota lovers: I need a complete set of seatbelts (fronts and rears) for a 1980 Toyota Celica Supra (yeah, it's kinda rare). My question is - does anyone know which Toyota (model and year) would have seatbelt assemblies (including retracters) that could bolt right in, without major diddling. I'm thinking maybe a Cressida model would be right but I'm not sure. I'd like to have a good idea before heading off to the auto wreckers and wasting a lot of time removing assemblies and hoping they'd fit. Has anyone done seatbelt swaps like this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Bob Wire

Try J C Whitney

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

(fronts

(model

diddling.

not

the

While I appreciate your taking the trouble to reply to my question, I must refer your attention to that same question which is very specific and doesn't invite comments regarding "aftermarket" and J.C.Shitney products. To recap, the question asked "which Toyota (model and year)". Very specific. But thanks again for your comments.

Reply to
Bob Wire

Try this:

badgolferman

"badgolferman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.readfreenews.net:

(fronts

(model

diddling.

not

the

Hi. Well, I didn't expect that there would be an aftermarket seatbelt assembly at such a low price. The Toyota replacement is $247. I had thoght to get used seatbelts at the wreckers but this sure looks good. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Bob Wire

The seatbelts from the same series (body style) Supra or Celica should fit. The rear seat belts from a Cressida probably will not fit, it is a completely different chassis.

I've never tried to buy seat belts from an auto wrecker, but some may not sell them due to liability issues. A seat belt that has been subjected to a crash force should never be re-used, especially if the "replace" tag is showing near the label, and I suspect that many cars end up at a junk yard due to crashes.

Reply to
Ray O

Just ignore... Oh, I see you've already met our local troll Mikey. Please don't feed him, like a stray dog it only encourages him to come back tomorrow.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The belt that crosses the chest is beginning to show slight fraying from, I think, from pulling and retracting as it travels through the upper guide. My last vehicle, a GM product, had cracked plastic housing where you snap in the belt, yet I hardly ever used the belt. My passengers almost always wore their seat belts and the belt material stayed almost new looking. If I slip my finger under the belt and pull forward, there's immediate resistance. Believe it or not, none of my other vehicle's seat belts gave any resistance no matter how fast I pulled on them. Get to the point Mark! Alright. The Prius is three years old. Besides the fraying, the driver side belt doesn't always retract properly and ends up hanging outside the door as I step out and I end up slamming the door on it. Can anybody relate to this? Is there a solution? I mean besides looking first before closing the door. mark_

Reply to
mark digital

Toyota had a special service campaign many years ago to resolve the condition you are describing. The fix was to enlarge the slot in the upper support where the shoulder belt passes through. You *may* be able to get the dealership to do something about the condition.

Reply to
Ray O