need some resto advice on 86 1/2 supra

I have an '88, NA Sport roof, leather, Canadian model. Nice, but constantly Needs Work! ;)

As far as Yammy's I had a '74 RD400, a '71 DT175, and a '74 DT400. Sold the RD after almost getting killed 5 times (because of IDIOTS!) and decided Off Road was a lot safer!

When I was a kid, I used to build plastic models. Now I play with the Real Deal!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, I am the MAster of Cheap, and usually "Get By" with as little $$$ as possible. But, if you're going to the trouble of removing the bumper(s), might as well do it properly in one shot!

BTW, mine is the blue, too, and the bumpers are shot...

Reply to
Hachiroku

HAHAHA! I never got the chance.

So, you know this?

"Don't send my son to Holy Cross, The dying mother said."

Reply to
Hachiroku

i still build kits. armor and ac. what's your fave? i like riding in the desert but if you can ride in boston, you can ride. the rd was a hot bike. i still have a 66yr1

350 street bike.yyyyiiiiinnnngggg!!!! love thumpers best. big motor, one lung, bang!
Reply to
someone

yes, do it all at once correctly and cheaply.

Reply to
someone

no, can't say i do. please continue.

Reply to
someone

And a 2-stroke to boot. Those things are "two-faced"! You can putter around 'below the pipe' and have people think you're a wimp, and then hit the pipe and BLOW THEM INTO THE WEEDS!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

There was a chick in Leominster about two years ago that had one JUST like mine on e-Bay, driveable, etc, and I didn't bid on it. Figured it would be a good $1200-1500. went fot $585!!! *STILL* kicking myself.

Then I found a blue NA regular top downtown with a 5-speed. Kid wanted $300 for it (blown engine). I didn't have it but told him to give me 3 weeks.

His damned landlady had it towed and CRUSHED!

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's all I know. I had an engineer friend that went to bc in the 60's, and that was part of the unofficial 'school song'.

Reply to
Hachiroku

a 450cc dirt bike will indeed do that. and it's fun to see daddy 6 pack trying to regain composure after you have stopped his heart.

Reply to
someone

i'll ask around next trip easterly.

Reply to
someone

we should return the favor.

Reply to
someone

Really! Except for the BHG, it was a DECENT car! It was going to be a debate whether to move the parts to my Sport Roof, or move the engine to the Hardtop. It was in really nice shape. And I guess the 'reclaimer' didn't realize he was giving up about $2,000 in parts for $400 in scrap...

Reply to
Hachiroku

the junk yard one has a bhg also. seems common and a bitch to replace. taking all the crap off takes time. any tricks on doin spark plugs? or do i have to take off the throttle body?

Reply to
someone

LOL! How far back does your news serivce go?! I have a 'dissertation' posted here over about 6-8 posts, and pics in alt.binaries.images.fun.

But it goes back to January or so.

No, my firend, no easy way out. But some hints. NGK Platiunum plugs (you want to postpone doing this again as long as possible...) NGK wires. I got a set on e-Bay for ~$55. Best Toyota price I got was $85. Get some kind of magnetic socket. You can remove the TB, but are in danger of dropping nuts and bolts. And you'll need a swiveling socket adapter and a LONG extension...you'll basically be on the passenger's side of the car removing something on the driver's side... If you have flaky valve cover gaskets, get them from Jeff at Champion Toyota in TX. $8 each, also (er, did you have the Turbo?) my Distr. Cap was $16 and my rotor $8 from Jeff (tell him you heard of him from someone at Supras.com) Take a look at the breather tube and the other tubing that carries oil. Chanches are they're brittle. While replacing the valve cover gaskets (mine were sraying oil all over the place...)I broke the tubing for the PCV and the Oil breather (goes from right below the oil filler cap to the block) because they were so brittle! Managed to get it for $22 from Jaffarian's in Haverhill, MA, but shipping for you wouldn't make sense. But use the price when 'negotiating'! Be prepared to remove the alternator. Get some ultra black RTV if the center cover is decrepit. I didn't get a new one, I just gooped it. If you can get the pics on a.b.i.f I put them there a while ago...

Nope...no easy way. Whoever did mine left the center plug from two changes ago, then the next one out on each side from the change after that, and replaced the 'easy' three with Copper. Copper is OK, but plan on doing it again in 30-40,000 miles. The gaps on all of them was .080, that's MAX, spec is .031! Thing runs a lot better now.

I think it took about 8-12 hours. I removed everything, waited for parts, replaced the plugs, waited for parts, cleaned tha valve covers, waited for parts, etc. So, it took two-three weeks, but 10-15 hours, including cleaning all three covers and repairing other things while I was at it.

But, my car goes into a heated garage in November...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Oh, and order the gasket between the TB and the Intake runner!

Reply to
Hachiroku

i had flaky valve cover gaskets according to a mechanic. so i tightened the bolts and no more ooze. i got basically the same proces for cap, rotor and wires locally. all the hoses and lines are fine. they were replaced at

150k. there's 180k now. it runs really well and passed a ca. smog easily at 175k so i'll leave it alone. mine is a daily driver so it keeps going in all the seasons. the radiator bypass hose blew out, i replaced it and the water pump plus the vacum swith by the thermostat. 50 bucks after searching. toyota dealer couldn't get one and others wanted $80 up.
Reply to
someone