new Camry ?

I've got an 05 LE 4 cylinder with about 20,000 trouble free miles and I just noticed in Consumers Reports that the new Camry has an Avalon body. Is this true and if so how does it compare to mine? Is it a bigger car and if so where's the room and how does a 4 banger perform? I need to get over to the dealer and see one but it's such a pain, if you know what I mean.

tnx Hank

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

The 2007 Camry was just introduced. You can find the specs on the Toyota website, and comparative specs with your 2005 on places like Vehix.com.

There is also a hybrid gas-electric version for 2007.

If you do go to a dealer, then you might want to call in advance to make sure they have some in stock.

Reply to
Mark A

I wouldn't call it exactly an Avalon body. I saw one on the road today, first one I have seen outside of pictures or TV.

WWOOWW!!!!!! I LIKE IT!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Saw one in Hawaii last week while on vacation. Did a double take as I have a '06 Avalon. First glance is "hey that's my car with an updated headlight setup!". Saw two more today in my neck of the woods. Upon closer inspection , I agree it's not exactly an Avalon but the design ques are unmistakeable.

Reply to
Dale Webler

Perhaps they share the same platform? From looking on Google for a moment, it looks like they've shared it for a while.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Seems to me the Avalon has always used the Camry chassis.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I drove an 07 (4 cyl.) about a month ago or more (here in FLa-dealer actually paid me 10 bucks to try it out). I found it to be very seductive. Almost had me buying, even though I swore off impulsive car buys. I have a perfectly functioning 01 Camry.

It was, however, a bit shifty. It shifts twice as often as my 01. The one I drove had a J vin number of course as all the first run will. That right there almost had me writing a check.

Other than the shiftyness, It was great. About the same size and weight as the 06, just better engineering. The grill, the interior have the most changes. My 01 camry now feels like a corolla. I think the new corollas are as big as my 01 Camry... CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

THe Avalon has always been based on the Camry platform, as has the Sienna.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I beleive it has a six-speed AT, and is programmed for economy.

Reply to
Hachiroku

How does that reduce styling costs? The each body is different. That's roughly twenty panels (inners and outers) costing perhaps $30+ million in dies.

The dies for the chassis is where you save your money, and obviously in production scale.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

The cars would certainly be more expensive to produce if they had their own platforms. The entire auto industry is under huge cost reduction pressures so I can't imagine any OEM would be inclined to pocket the extra cash, or at least not completely. There is much more to pricing a car than simply build costs.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

There's no difference.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

They fill them with compressed air while the materials are still hot and soft, increasing the interior space.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Hey Bonehenge Upa U ess!

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

(Henry=A0Kolesnik) Will a vehhicle a J VIN be better than one made over here? And if so why...

In my opinion it will. 'Merians can screw up anything... I believe Toyota has 'internal' numbers to support this as well..

Batman..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Because the Avalon came out with the new platform before the Camry did.

I believe that the previous generation Camry and the new generation Avalon are different platforms but the new generation Camry and new generation Avalon are based on the same platform.

Reply to
Ray O