New Engine for 1995 Corolla Wagon (?)

What should it cost to get a new or quality rebuilt engine put in a '95 Corolla wagon?

A dealership here in California is quoting $6400. That sure seems steep to me, but I'm not in the business.

Reply to
tbl

If you're getting the engine for the dealer, that would explain why it's so costly. I'm guessing that includes labor too or no? Seems very high but from a dealer, it's probably about right.

You might be better off scoring the engine from the dealer and having an independent shop that specializes in Toyota/foreign autos put the motor in.

You might also see if a shop has an engine that meets your standards and what their rate to put it in is.

The nice thing about the dealer is you can almost rest assured they'll get you a quality engine and do the job right the first time around but you will pay quite dearly for that satisfaction.

Reply to
mrsteveo

I don't know if you can still do this, but Toyota's web site used to have an area where you could order a 'short block', which is the engine block, pistons and crankshaft/bearings assembled. You add the oil pump, oil pan, and the top end/valve train. An engine for an '88 Supra was $2,400.

Reply to
Hachiroku

tbl wrote in news:2tgof3hib01nl3vsdg7mhud3s5ug0i2q39@

4ax.com:

You may want to find a used Japanese market engine. Those are LOTS cheaper than a rebuild.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns99B8DE25266C3tegger@207.14.116.130:

And don't use the dealer for something like this. Their labor rate is terribly high for the amount of time an engine swap will take. A good independent will charge far less per hour.

You're not even guaranteed a better job at the dealer. Their current techs likely haven't ever done an engine swap on a car this old.

Reply to
Tegger