New initiate to OIL CHANGE CLUB

Hi again, gang. I hope everyone has been great.

Well, it's time for another oil change, so I thought I'd check in again with my Toyota friends.

Only this time I have a surprise! I did my first-ever oil change the other day! It was a real pleasure to do, and I have to thank all the wonderful participants in this newsgroup for all the helpful advice and information you all have provided-- folks like Ray O, Hachiroku, Tegger, Bruce Bergman, etc., etc. I also must not forget to thank the author of the beginner's book "Auto Upkeep."

I hope everyone has been great, and stay safe under the chassis.

PS: After working under the chassis with oil spilling down my arm, I quickly learned the importance of safety goggles and latex gloves. I bought some at Walmart the very next day :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

"Built_Well" wrote in>

Staying safe under the chassis is the main idea. You'll wish for something as minor as oil running down your arm if your jackstands or ramps ever decide to collapse. I quit changing my own oil (although I've enjoyed the knowledge that the drain plug is indeed in place and tight when I'm done) simply because the additional seven or eight bucks spent at the oil change place is worth not risking being crushed under your vehicle. There's nothing like the feeling of having your car removed from your cold, dead chest. : - ) If you continue changing your own oil, please never do it without someone else in your household being present so that they can call 911. Because you won't be able to.

Reply to
mack

I had the oil changed in our 2007 Avalon at Yokem Toyota in Shreveport for the 5000 mile interval. I did it myself for the next interval... I found that Yokem had not tightened the oil drain plug...Thank goodness it did not vibrate out.

I was able to remove it with my bare fingers.

That is why the seven or eight bucks means something to me.

Reply to
HLS

How come you left off my name?

Reply to
Mark A

I don't know if performing an oil change at home (or at the garage) is ever something that I would equate with pleasure. It certainly is a way to save some money. While under the car just be sure to take the time to look around at all of the other components for emerging problems.

Reply to
John S.

What did the service manager say when you called him about this and ripped him a new asshole?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

IMO John is right - I used to really enjoy knowing that things were okay under there - saving some money was nice too. I take it to the dealer now cause I'm just too old and lazy to do it

Ron in Ca

I don't know if performing an oil change at home (or at the garage) is ever something that I would equate with pleasure. It certainly is a way to save some money. While under the car just be sure to take the time to look around at all of the other components for emerging problems.

Reply to
ron

Staying safe under the chassis is the main idea. =A0 You'll wish for something as minor as oil running down your arm if your jackstands or ramps ever decide to collapse. I quit changing my own oil (although I've enjoyed the knowledge that the drain plug is indeed in place and tight when I'm done) simply because the additional seven or eight bucks spent at the oil change place is worth not risking being crushed under your vehicle. There's nothing like the feeling of having your car removed from your cold, dead chest. =A0 :

- ) If you continue changing your own oil, please never do it without someone else in your household being present so that they can call 911. Because you won't be able to.

----------------

No need for jack stands on my 01 camry. It sits low to the gound, but I'm able to change the oil without elevating the vehicle any. And the oil filter is chageable from under the hood..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

That's so true, but why does the car have to be raised at all to change the oil? I just reach underneath.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

SUCKER!!! ;)

I don't know what model you have, but let's start with my Corolls 1200. The drain plug was in a good spot, and the oil filter was in an excellent spot! Right near the front of the engine, very easy to grasp, and upside-down (rightside up?) so that when you spun it off, all the oil drained right out of it. Of course, it wasn't lined up with the drain plug, so if you were draining the oil it ran out on the ground. Hey, in

1974, who cared?

I don't remember my 78 or my 80 Corollas, but I sure remember the '85 Hachiroku. Know how you're supposed to change the oil with the engine warm? I guess that's why they put the filter right under the exhaust header. At least when you spun it off, the oil would drain into the catch pan.

The Supra does, too. But it's buried on the side of the block, again below the exhaust header, but a bit easier to grasp then the Hachiroku. Except the angle you have to get your arm into is almost breaking it. (Any consolation, the Mazda is even WORSE!)

Now, the Scion. Brains have taken over. The plug and the filter are almost right next to each other, and the filter is mounted so when you spin it off, the oil stays inside of it.

I hope a rock never kicks up under the bumper and takes the filter out...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think *maybe* he was being a bit sarcastic...

It costs me as much or more than Jiffy Lube, et al, but I know it's done correctly!

Reply to
Hachiroku

When you compare the cost to Jiffy Lube, do you include the things that Jiffy Lube is going to mess up?

Reply to
Jeff

Can this be done on all cars, with no exceptions dating back to the first car ever made?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's a pain to do it yourself, but it's still cheaper and less hassle overall to just do it and be done. Because you have to waste more time to go down there and sit around and watch over them while they do the work - which in my case is the only practical option.

With a Work Truck you lose at least two days of productive time taking the truck in for service - because the repair shop is not responsible for any lost or stolen vehicle contents. "Too Bad, So Sad..." Read the contract. You have to unload it, then reload it.

I've tried leaving it partly loaded and telling them to "Keep Vehicle Locked, Keep Keys Secured." And every single time I've spot-checked, it wasn't done. The Mechanic is fanatical about the security of his tools in his rollaway ("Touch them and you're DEAD!") but could care less about your tools in your truck.

Your Shit is Stuff, but other people's Stuff is Shit. - George Carlin

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

My experience is limited to only about six different cars, all with low ground clearance, but I was always able to change the oil without raising the car, even back when I weighed 80 lbs. more than I do now and wasn't nearly as flexible.

I was able to

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Do yourself a favor and get some drive up ramps if you must lift the front end of the vehicle. It takes a couple of times for you to get used to setting them up right and driving onto them but you'll learn the first time! Don't forget to block the back wheels also.

Changing your own oil not only saves money but it also saves time! I can use the oil brand and oil filter of my own choice and still pay less than half what a dealer or oil change place charges. From start to finishing of cleanup I can be done in 30 minutes. Contrast that to making appointments or having to wait your turn for the next available spot. Once you learn to change the other fluids you have become a regular grease monkey!

One other thing you might want to consider is an oil filter wrench like I have. It is a spring-loaded self-adjusting steel claw that fits over the top of any size oil filter. You use a ratchet and any length extension. Say goodbye to skinned knuckles and burned hands.

Reply to
badgolferman

Jiffy Lube=$19.95

4 Qts oil=$12.75 Filter=$5.65

Save ~$2 and get peace of mind...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Are you using synthetic? My last dozen quarts of conventional oil cost $6, after rebate. Previous to that, I was able to get a 6-pack of Pennzoil synthetic for $0.38 a quart, but that was $0.32 a quart more than my first purchase of it.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I changed my oil yesterday. No big deal. I use ramps and have a nice sized catch bucket. I write the size of the drain plug somewhere under the hoods of each of my vehicles, so I'll have the proper wrench. I use 18 inch channel locks to get the old filter off. The auto parts stores usually have some kind of special on oil and filters. This time it was 14.95 for 5 qts of penzoil and a fram filter, use to be 8 bucks, but inflation is under control so the gov't says. I take my time and enjoy doing it. I tear off the lid of the filter box and write the mileage and date and put it in the glasses storage place above the windshield. That's my system of doing oil changes. Took me about 3 hours, because the neighbor came over to chat, and I took nap in the middle of the oil change, maybe a nap and a half. The car was still on the ramps last night. Nice to be retired. Next oil change the timing belt is due to be changed, I haven't decided if I'll do the timing belt myself or hire it done. I've got three or 4 months to think about it. And I know is the oil plug and filter are tight, the belts, hoses, exhaust system, U joint boots are still in good shape, windshield washer tank is full and the tire pressures are correct.

Reply to
Moe

I can't tell you anything about Jiffy Lube because I've never used them.

In my experience a home oil change should cost a bit less than an oil change at the local garage. It will cost quite a bit less than having the work done at a dealer. However, in my experience the dealer is the most adept at spotting emerging problems and the local garage is less so. For those of us willing to spend the time to do a proper oil change, check for additional problems and dispose of the old oil and filter then some money can be save with home oil changes. For many of us it ends up being false savings I think.

Reply to
John S.