new Matrix

Been doing some research and reading about the Toyota Matrix, had my mind set on a new Focus wagon, but someone suggested the Matrix, I never saw one, might stop at a dealer today and check one out, but I read that it has some problems with the stereo systems. ect, how are the 2005 models. any changes in the 2006. what is the best price these Standard Matrix's going for! any comments or should I get the Focus wagon

Thanks Chet

Reply to
chet

If the stereo is the only notable problem the Matrix has, I'd say get it. You're likely to have a lot more problems with a Focus.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The sound system was changed for the better in the 2005 model year. There are no changes from the 2005 to 2006 models except the published horsepower figures. The power is the same but the method used to calculate it is different. Check

to see what people in your area are paying. That site will also allow you to compare the features of the two cars side by side.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

The Focus far outsells the Matrix as does the Pontiac Vibe, the Matrix' twin sold by Pontiac. Drive and get a total drive home price for all three, then decide which best suits your needs and budget, WBMA.

mike hunt

Reply to
me

Get the Pontiac vibe instead.. you can get the same car as the matrix, for about 5k less... although I like the body style of the Matrix a lot more...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I agree with this in general. My wife loves her Matrix, but she's a bit younger than I am, I'm not real fond of the stiff suspension (perhaps there's a lesson here?). Anyhow, she likes the high driver's position and pretty well all the other stuff. I have a nice little reliable Corolla and I love it...you can't go wrong with Toyota I think.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

actually according to carsdirect.com the matrix is cheaper.

Reply to
Len Zelinski

I think carsdirect.com do not give u the current discounts and deals...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

the price matches the customer discount one on the pontiac.com website so it does reflect the discounts and deals.

Reply to
Len Zelinski

Wow! Learn something new everyday...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Price both. They are variations of the same vehicle. However, GM (Pontiac) still has their employee discount promo going, and I'd have to guess a Vibe will be priced better.

The Vibe outsells the Matrix ... and, to some of us, it looks better. I test drove a Vibe 2wd. Nicely equipped at just over 14K. Bob

Reply to
BushkaBob

You might be right about your area but certainly not here in Eastern Canada...we see many many of them on the streets and I hear that there's a two week waiting period for them now...my wife got one in April...loves it...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

That is true as packaged, but the Vibe has a lower MSRP when similarly equipped. Having said that, MSRP is meaningless. Total drive home price is what one actually pays, not MSRP. Toyota dealers are famous for smoke and mirrors options and are less inclined to discount than Pontiac dealers and offer lower trade prices if you have a trade. In addition GM interest rates are much more consumer friendly than Toyota. GMs rates are often at zero. You will not save 5K but you can easily save 3K on a similarly equipped Vibe over a Matrix. That is properly why the Vibe sells at a much greater rate than the Matrix for what is basically the same vehicle except for trim.

Reply to
me

Yessir!...I can grok that statement Water Brother...

(for those poor souls who don't know Heinlein the above means "I agree in spades") :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

It would seem "me" is just an egg.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

Well, at least, as an 'egg', you're not out there among the 'great unwashed', so there's certainly hope for you... :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Check out the Vibe, which is made in the same factory as the Matrix. Except for some trim, and a few electrical components ( radio, battery) is the same. I've had mine for just over a month, and I love it. There is a Toyota dealer down the road where I bought the Vibe, and they were not very helpful, on price or delivery. The salesman said that they couldn't keep them on the lot, so he had no reason to negotiate. No problem, I got a better deal and treatment down the street, and the Pontiac dealer got a customer for life (assuming they are still selling Vibes when this one has to be replaced !)

The Focus is crap. We had one as a delivery vehicle at work, went through 2 computer control units in 100,ooo miles, neither were covered under warranty. Plus there were about 8 recalls ...

John

Reply to
John Karpich

XRS, 17" rims, 6-speed transmission. Yeeeeee Haaaaaa!

Don't even LOOK at the Focus. TOO many problems. Everyone I know with a Focus has had something go wrong. Maybe Ford should move production from Mexico to Korea...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The Focus does outsell the Matrix but in the Chicago area I see a lot more Matrix and Vibes than Focus wagons, for whatever that's worth.

A couple of friends have Focus (Foci?), one has a 4 door sedan and the other the 2-door sporty model. They have been very reliable except for the recalls. One of the friends mentioned that the none of the places he goes for oil changes, including the Ford dealer, carry the factory recommended oil viscosity in a conentional version so they only carry it as synthetic oil, so his oil changes are around $40, or close to double for conventional oil. I think the factory recommended oil viscosity was something like

0W-10.

I drove a 4 door Focus rental for a week as a rental vehicle. It seemed peppy enough although there was a lot of engine and road noise compared to Corollas and Tercels I've driven. I have not driven a Matrix so I can't compare with a Matrix.

Reply to
Ray O

Hello John

I am going to look around for a Pontiac dealer and check them out. the only thing that I read on the reviews is they and the Matrix are a little under powered, will they cruise on the major highways with any problems!

thanks Chet

John Karpich wrote:

Reply to
chet