Newly installed fog lights won't work!

Hi there! Installed after market fog lights to my Toyota Hiace van. I used a 30 amp relay and switch mounted in the dash. Not sure of the gauge of wire that came with the kit to attach to the battery, but it seemed like it was 15 amp, with a 15 amp fuse. Tapped a wire into the park lights etc...

However when I flicked the switch, park lights came on, but no fog lights. Checked everything, all the connections on the relay seemed to be in the right place. Can anybody give me advice on where I may have gone wrong as I am a novice.

Thanks!

Reply to
bazooka01

OK - I see an error right away, either in your installation concept, or your explanation. You said that when you flick "the switch", the park lights work, but the fog lights do not. This suggests that you WANT them to activate simultaneously, which is wrong. Fog lights should function independently from your normal car lights for more than one reason. They are a driving tool for certain driving situations. They are not cool. They should not be on at all times, especially since most home-brewed installations result in their being aligned incorrectly, which makes other drivers want to kill you.

Disconnect all components and start over again. If the instructions tell you to mingle the wiring with that of the park light system, the instructions are wrong. What do they really say?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Got any better suggestions for the OP, Mark? I've installed probably two dozen sets of fog & driving lights. How about you?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The suggestion is perfect. Got any better advice? If not, don't clutter the discussion.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A bad ground is often the culprit in electrical problems. An easy way to test your ground is to use a 12v test light. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

Judging from your address, I assume you are in New Zealand, and I am not aware of the regulations regarding the use of fog lights there. In the U.S., Toyotas are wired so that the fog lights can only be activated with the low beam headlights on, and are de-activated when the high beam headlights are in use.

If you have a 12 volt test light or volt meter, check to see if power is coming to the fog light sockets. If power is coming to the sockets, check the ground for the sockets and the bulbs themselves.

As far as how you have wired your lights, assuming that you want a simple setup that is independent of the operation of the other lights, the easiest way to wire would be to have power coming from the fused side of a switched power source in the fuse box to the switch, and then from the switch to the relay, and then wire the switched side of the relay directly to the battery.

Reply to
Ray O

a budget multi-meter would be helpful but I can testify and blush about a problem I had. The switch was one of the lighted type and I picked the wrong terminals running the power to the driving lites thru the light in the switch ... which doesn't work. You might try starting with that if a lighted switch.

Reply to
JeB

Check that you have a good ground. If possible, ground them to the same point as the relay.

Reply to
Hachiroku

have you a positve ground? It sounds to me like you might only have one wire and mount is to a plastic part? ie no current flow.

Reply to
ron

I put that dick lick on ignore. He is a complete and utter assface...

Reply to
GO Mavs

Thanks for your opinion. But I have a wiring problem, not an image problem.

Reply to
bazooka01

Joe! The switch I was referring to is an independent switch to the relay. This switch turned on the park lights ,(don't know what you call them in the states), independently, so that I don't have to have them on all the time. I am a courier in Wellington NZ and visibility is very important in gloomy weather for my type of work. It keeps me safe and more importantly, keeps pedestrians and other traffic fully aware of my presence. We have similar regulations here, and are strictly monitored by the authorities. I DO NOT WANT TO BE COOL, JUST SAFE!

Thanks for your suggestions people. I'll let you know how I get on... Any more ideas let me know!

Cheers!

Reply to
bazooka01

OK - so when you turn on the independent switch, the park lights come on. (We call them parking lights). Sounds like you got your power from the parking light circuit. The switch should not get its power from any "crucial" circuit - any accessory that MUST work in order to drive safely. In my Tacoma, I have two cigarette lighter plugs in the dash, although I think they're now called accessory plugs, since less people smoke and more people have cell phone chargers and things like that. Those two plugs turn off with the key, and although I haven't consulted the manual because it's pouring rain outside, I believe they have nothing else on the same circuit except the dome light. If I were installing fog lights, that would be a circuit I'd consider using for power.

What brand & model are your fog lights?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I assume you mean the park lights come on normally but you can't get the fog lights to work.

For the switch you want the following.

Wire from the park light to the switch then to terminal 85 of the relay, then from terminal 86 to earth.

For the lights.

Wire from the battery positive to a fuse, to terminal 30 of the relay, then from terminal 87 to the lights, the from the lights to the earth.

If you have any problems I would look at earth points as these need to be bare metal connections to work properly.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH JOE. HE IS THE NEWSGROUP D_CKFACE!

Reply to
GO Mavs

Got any good ideas for solving the OP's problem, air head?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom