Noise and smell

I just had work done on my 95 corolla: rear brake shoes, disc pad rear, brake drum, drum repl rear (on both rear wheels). Now when driving (most noticeably at 0-30 but also at higher speeds) I hear a clicking sound with each wheel rotation. And when I get stop and get out, there is a smell (like something burning?) coming from inside the rear wheels.

Reply to
deniboycutter

Take it back to whoever did the work. You really didn't need me to say that, did you?

Reply to
badgolferman

Oh, believe me I am taking it back. But I thought some of you kind experts could give me a heads -up, so when I do take it back they can't give me the runaround.

Reply to
deniboycutter

Unusual to replace rear drums - unless brakes grossly neglected or over 160k miles. Suspect shoes (springs/clips) were not installed properly (clicking); not radiused to the drum or not adjusted properly. Disk pad rear? ya mean front - cuz you have either drum or disk brakes on the rear not both.

Reply to
Wolfgang

153,000 miles, and rear wheels were making a grinding noise prior to work being done.
Reply to
deniboycutter

153,000 miles, and rear wheels were making a grinding noise prior to work being done.

Yea...you probably needed drums...

TYhey could have machined the old ones if they were still in tolerance, but the would have banged you ~$40 for that 'service'. (They put the drums on a machine and walk away and do something else for 20 minutes, then change the other one and walk away for another 20 mins...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Where was the work performed? If it was a independent shop, some aftermarket brake parts make a lot more noise than OEM brake parts. Most likely, something was not put together correctly.

Reply to
Ray O

It was serviced at Sears. But today, all the noise and smell is gone completely????

Reply to
deniboycutter

If the noise and smell are gone, it is possible that whatever coating they left on the brake surfaces burned off, and the shoes have seated. Keep a nose and ear out for their return, otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.

Reply to
Ray O