Noisy disc brakes

I just had a front-end brake job: turned the rotors, pads... There is a fluttering sound on the left brake when I'm driving along.

What causes this and how can I fix it?

voice from the past

Reply to
timagine

It is difficult to diagnose sounds without hearing the sounds, but here are some common causes of brake sounds that occur when the brakes are not applied:

Improper rotor installation - fix by removing the rotor and installing correctly Improper pad installation - fix by removing the pads and installing them correctly Aftermarket parts, particularly pads, that do not fit correctly - fix by installing OEM pads. Stuck caliper slide - fix by cleaning up the slide, the slide bushing, and lubing with anti-seize, wheel bearing grease, or caliper slide grease. Improper wheel installation or torque - fix by removing and reinstalling the wheel and torquing the lug nuts properly Bad wheel cover - fix by installing a new wheel cover.

Reply to
Ray O

have you yet been back to the garage that did your brake job to tell them about the problem? and if so, what did they say?

Reply to
mack

Damaged, improperly greased or misadjusted wheel bearings, most common if you have the older style tapered roller bearings. Ray didn't overlook this, it's merely an expansion of his comment "improper rotor installation."

One other problem - very rare in my experience, is an improperly remachined rotor. Many years ago I had disks turned by an auto parts store that owned their own brake lathe. The lathe's collet was out of true.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com who stated:

Don't know.

YOU shouldn't have to!

Go back to whomever did your brake job and tell them about the sound (assuming it wasn't there before the job was done). THEY should figure out the problem they caused and fix it . . . .

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

I should have mentioned that the sound stops when I apply the brakes.

voice from the past

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
timagine