O/D OFF Light Flashing

Does anyone know why my 1990 4Runner's overdrive off light would be flashing? Where would I get the error code if there is one? My Haynes manual only talks about the engine light error codes. Thanks.

Reply to
Marty

When it flashes, it is telling you the transmission isn't happy. If you are lucky, it means you need to add some fluid.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There's a connector under the hood that a dealer or shop can use to test your system. You can do this to check it:

Turn the key OFF.

Get a paper clip or small wire and jumper between E1 and Te1. Turn the key to the on (but not start or run) position. Make sure OD is on and not off.

Count the flashes. There's a space of 1 second between parts of a number and a space of 1.5 seconds between each numbert.

Example:

Flash -sec- Flash -sec- Flash -sec- Flash -sec -flash -sec- Flash -

1.5 sec That's a 6.

Write the numbers down. Let us know what they say.

To reset your computer (this will erase your radio presets) remove the negative battery cable for several minutes. (Five is good).

Re-attach the neg cable and start/drive your car. See if the light flashes again.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

He can unplug the computer itself.

Reply to
hachiroku

Yes, he can. But the first thing to do is the simple stuff, check the fluid level. Low fluid can make the OD Light flash. Let me say that another way, low fluid can make one of the transmission lights flash, I seem to recall that it's the OD light.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The flashes were 2 seconds apart indefinitely . I unplugged the battery and it didn't stop it then I unplugged the battery for 15 minutes and it seems do have stopped. Fluid levels were fine. Thanks everyone.

Reply to
Marty

Two doesnt' sound right, but if it stopped...

It may return. If it does, do the jumper test.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

The ECT in the OP's vehicle does not monitor ATF levels.

Reply to
Ray O

OK, smart@ss, explain this! ;)

Supra; when I got it the O/D Off light was flashing, the tranny wouldn't shift automatically but will go through the gears (except OD) when shifted manually.

I removed the plug and tested it. (BTW, I was getting codes 61 & 62; S1 bad, S2 bad). I checked them with a meter; SL was OK, S1 open, S2 open. I filled the tranny and the computer reset when I removed the plug. Also, applying 12V to the connectors, the SL solenoid tripped, but S1 and S2 did not. I borrowed the Dealer's plate for a weekend; NO O/D Light flashing; ALSO no automatic shifting or O/D function!!!

What's up with that?

Reply to
hachiroku

Neither does mine. :(

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

This is a very informative and helpful post. Thanks for your insight.

Reply to
badgolferman

Gary, the flashing is back! What do you mean by E1 and Te1? I have a Chilton manual in the mail so maybe I will soon be enlightened.

Reply to
Marty

Look for a diagnostic check port under the driver's side of the dash board. Look at the underside of the cap covering the port and there will be a sticker that identifies the various pins in the connector. Use a paperclip or piece of wire to connect pin E1 and Te1, then turn the ignition key to the on position without starting the car. The OD off light will begin flashing. The number of flashes corresponds with the trouble code. A steady flash is normal, a series of quick flashes with pauses between them denotes trouble codes.

Reply to
Ray O

I could not find this port. There is nothing near my fuse box with pin holes or a cover. Only the spare fuses beside the fuse box. Am I blind?

Reply to
Marty

I found the diagnostic check port. It is under the hood. My trouble codes are 42 - Speed sensor and 64 - does not exist. I guess my speedo is in really bad shape!!! Anyone have a 64 trouble code definition?

Reply to
Marty