OBD II scan tool recommendations, and evap repair question?

My 98 Camry's check engine light came on. It has the 4-cylinder engine. The good folks at AutoZone read the codes for me. They are P0441 and P0446, my Toyota shop manuals say they are evaporative emmission control system stuff. I have not attempted to repair this yet. I did pull the fuse for ECU-1 for about a minute, but that did not kill the idiot light.

Here's the code definitions: P0441 - E.E.C.S. Incorrect Purge Flow P0446 - E.E.C.S. Vent Control Malfunction

There are two Technical Service Bulletins that might be related, but I don't know what they say. They are: EG013-02 JUL 02 Emissions System - MIL ON/DTC's P0440/P0441/P0446 Set EG005-01 APR 01 EVAP System - Supplemental Operation/Diagnostics

If anyone can recommend how to tackle this problem then I'd like to hear it. The charcoal canister is not conveniently located.

I'd also like to get an (ISO) OBD II scan tool, as inexpensively as possible of course, and preferably with enhanced mode Toyota data. It would be fun to watch my engine on my notebook computer! Here's a few I found:

anyone? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Bruce W.1

Your problem could be as simple as a loose or leaking gas cap.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Wish I was that lucky. I looked at the gas cap and it looks fine to me. I tried blowing and sucking on its plastic neck and no air got through in either direction, which struck me as odd. I thought it was supposed to let air into the tank but not out, like a one-way valve. Is this correct?

Reply to
Bruce W.1

Good news. Your Camry might be included in the Court Ordered Extended Warranty.

I will send you the PDF with all the info.

Mine was included "97 Camry CE". I had the same codes.

Reply to
cmuller

Ebay has OBD 2 code readers for $25+$8 shipping.

bought one that works fine on my Mazda and may fit your Toyota. There is a connector guide on the ebay page to see if it fits your car. These reader work but there are no clear code buttons. What you do is let the code repeat four times and then it clears.

Reply to
tomcas

Bruce, My wife has an '01 Camry CE. I bought an AutoXray scanner from AutoBarn without the enhanced Toyota stuff. It ran about $100. The extended codes are another $50 and can be downloaded.

I diagnosed and repaired P0440/P0441/P0446 codes with the tool. All I needed was some time, a screwdriver, 12v power source, and a multitester. It turned out the replaceable vacuum control valve on the charcoal canister was bad. I took the easy one off first--the one on the intake air box and tested it to see if it clicked when 12v was applied across the terminals. It was ok. But the one on the canister that I could get off without removing the cannister was bad. It was $47, and I haven't had a code since.

If Toyota will fix it under recall or warranty, go that route. When this came about w/ my wife's vehicle, the car had just emerged from warranty and they were talking more than $500 to replace the canister and conduct an "induction system purge." Whatever. The code reader and the $47 part was a far cry less.

Good luck. Mike Davis

Reply to
ycleptor2

Would you also please send me the PDF? I have a similar issue.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Chadha