Octane Required for Toyota Tundra and Tacoma??

It was a Toyota dealer.

Reply to
Gareth

The parts department should be able to order you an owner's manual. And, if the customer service sucks that bad at the dealership, I wouldn't give them another dime's worth of business after getting the manual.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have several friends who have given me the exact same advice. They have recommended either of two other dealers who are within 30 miles.

PS I asked the first if they had any brochures on the Tundra or Tacoma and they did not!!

Reply to
Gareth

I don't get why for an owners manual -- anyone would go to the dealer without seeing if it's on eBay first. If it's on eBay, it's almost hands down cheaper than the dealer.

But, do as you wish...

Reply to
mrsteveo

You can download the Quick Reference Guide (not the complete Owner's Guide) for many Toyota's from:

The Quick Reference Guide for a 2007 Tundra
) does not mention octane at all. However, the online iGuide (see
) allows you to view a complete copy of the Owner's Guide for a 2007 Tundra. This guide specifies the octane requirement as 87 for all engines. For the Tacoma, there is no online iGuide listing (too bad). The Quick Reference Guide for the 2007 Tacoma
) does not mention octane requirements. However, according to Toyota Reports...err I mean Consumer Reports , it also only requires regular. I have a Nissan Frontier with the 4L DOHC V-6. The manual for my Frontier specifically says regular is required but that for maximum fuel economy and performance, premium should be used. I have experimented with premium and have not been able to detect any significant difference in fuel economy (I keep a detailed gas log). Any improvement in performance is undetectable to me. Perhaps if I used a stop watch I might be able to tell a difference, but then that seems like splitting hairs. In the past the delta between regular and premium gasoline was $0.20 per gallon (except for Shell that had a higher differential for V-Power). Recently I have noted that a lot of stations have upped the differential to $0.22 or even $0.24 per gallon. Pure banditry in my mind.

The iGuide feature is a big improvement for Toyota. Too bad they only cover a few models at this time. Hopefully the list will be expanded. Other manufacturers have been providing online copies of owner's guides for many years. I guess the big T is finally trying to improve their Customer Service. They might even get out of last place one day. Now if they quit running those ridiculously misleading Tundra commercials......

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You can read it for free at the dealer?

Reply to
B A R R Y

And at least for a 2007 Tundra (and Camry, FJ Cruiser Highlander, Avalon) it is free online at

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks guys for the link to the iguide. This is very helpful.

Reply to
Gareth