Oil capacity of the Camry LE with 2AZ-FE engine

Hi gang, I hope you all have been great!

Got a stumper for y'all.

The '06 Camry manual states the car's oil capacity is 4.0 quarts (with filter) [Page 335].

Yet during my second oil change yesterday with Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic, the technician told me the capacity is 4.25 quarts.

Three months ago, the previous tech also put in 4.25 quarts. I saw that he had opened a fifth one-quart bottle but only used it partially and returned the remainder to me.

All I know is each time I have an oil change, the oil level on the dipstick goes well beyond the full line.

So I wonder who's right: the techs or the manual?

I hope everyone's enjoying the summer!

Reply to
Built_Well

I stop filling engines with oil based on the dipstick.

Reply to
B A R R Y

There is always a bit of oil left in the engine that does not get drained out in a routine oil change. The manufacturer specs in the manual are defining capacities based on a "dry" engine. The indications on the dipstick are rather accurate. A variation of .25 of a quart will not make any appreciable difference in performance IMHO. As long as you don't under fill substantially enough to risk oil system starvation and inadequate oil cooling or overfill enough to cause windage splash from the crank shaft and/or emissions problems you should be fine. The .25 of a quart is just more money out of your pocket.

Reply to
user

I forgot to mention that any oil quantity in your engine that falls between the upper and lower indications on the dipstick is acceptable for engine operation.

Reply to
user

The manual is correct.

Reply to
Ray O

hmm, most cars I've had specifically stated the amount of oil needed for an oil change or oil change with filter change.

Reply to
RT

Thanks for your insights. I must tell you I really like this fully synthetic motor oil. I noticed a change in the sound of the engine the very first day the Mobil 1 was added 6 months ago.

If the manual and warranty allowed, I think I'd even switch to the Extended Performance oil in order to only have the oil changed just once a year, but I'll never do that while the engine is under warranty, anyway.

I don't know why two different technicians at the Toyota dealership have now put in 4.25 quarts instead of the manual's 4.0 quarts, but it sounds like an extra 1/4 quart won't hurt anything. Looking at the remaining oil the tech returned to me this last time, it actually looks like he used close to an extra

1/2 quart for a total of 4.5 quarts.
Reply to
Built_Well

It sure could hurt your engine. Why do you think there is a FULL line on the dipstick ? I wouldn't fill it any more than the FULL line on the dipstick.

Reply to
RT

I'd like to hear what exactly can go wrong with the engine? I'm on the same page when it comes to keeping the fluid level at or even slightly below the "full" line.

Reply to
rhiebert

1/4 to 1/2 quart more than the full line on the dipstick will not harm the engine, but keeping the fluid level below the full line on the dipstick is marginally worse for the engine because there is a lower quantity of oil in which to suspend combustion byproducts.

If the fluid level in the oil pan is so high that the the crankshaft passes through the oil, then it is possible that the crankshaft will whip the oil and make it frothy, and frothy oil will not lubricate or dissipate heat enough, causing engine damage. The oil probably needs to be overfilled by 2 or 3 quarts before this happens. If the oil level is even higher, like what would happen if you put in 4 quarts without draining the engine first so that you have 8 quarts in the crankcase, then it is possible for the hydraulic damage to occur because the oil interferes with the movement of the crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons.

Reply to
Ray O

See

According to this reference:

Engine oil Oil capacity Drain and refill w/ oil filter change - 3.8 liters (4.0 US qts, 3.3 lmp. qts) Drain and refill w/o oil filter change - 3.6 liters (3.8 US qts, 3.2 lmp. qts) Dry fill - 4.5 liters (4.8 US qts, 4.0 lmp. qts)

I wouldn't worry about the 0.25 quart.

What is well beyond?

Probably both. I suspect 4.0 qt is enough but in some case it might not quite reach the fill line. I am guessinig that experience has shown that 4.25 qt. guarantees that the level will at or above the full line. I'll bet if the level is not quite up to full, some Customers would complain and bring the car back. Does your dip stick include a cross-hatched area above the fill mark? If so, thjis is generally considered an acceptable range.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thank you Ray O for that fine explanation. It helps a novice understand what's really going on.

C. E. White, in answer to your question, there are no cross-hatches on my Camry's dipstick.

Reply to
Built_Well

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

speaking of... What ever happened to the cross hatched metal plate used for a dipstick ? Seems more and more cars use the round plastic thing on a wire. I find them harder to read.

Reply to
RT

As engine compartments get tighter, the dipstick has to make compound curves to reach the oil pan. Flat dipsticks won't do this, so wires are an easy solution.

Reply to
Ray O

Since adding an extra quarter-quart or half-quart of oil over the Camry manual's recommended 4.0 quarts won't hurt anything, I'm thinking of buying // Super Walmart's // big 5-quart bottle for my next oil change.

I have been buying the Mobil 1 oil available at // Sam's Club. // It's packaged in a box as 6 individual 1-quart bottles. I preferred this

1-quart bottle packaging so the oil-change techs could carefully measure the amount of oil they put in.

However, since a little extra won't hurt anything, I'm considering buying the big, single 5-quart bottle of Mobil 1 that // Super Walmart // sells. The single 5-quart bottle is slightly cheaper than the 6 individual 1- quart bottles at Sam's Club.

The reason I never bought the big bottle before is my concern that the tech might accidentally put all 5 quarts in, when the manual only calls for

4.0 quarts. It's very hard to measure how much oil you've put in from the big bottle--the bottle does not grade volume clearly (you know, with lined markings on the side showing how many quarts are left).

Since putting in 4.5 quarts in the '06 Camry's engine won't hurt anything even though the manual calls for 4.0 quarts, will putting in 5 quarts hurt if the tech overshoots? Thanks!

PS: Please pardon any possible duplication of this message as it may appear again due to delays at the news server.

Reply to
Built_Well

If the capacity is 4 quarts, just give the techs 4 quarts, not 5 quarts. By not wasting a quart every oil change, you will come out ahead, you will waste fewer resources, and you won't be intentionally overfilling your crankcase.

The other drawback to using the 5 quart jug is that the splash shield in the valve cover where you add oil is not meant to support a 5 quart jug and by resting it in there, you can bend the splash shield so that it touches the camshafts. Toyota dealer techs are aware of this but independent shops may not be. Rather than going through a long explanation, just give them 1 quart bottles.

Reply to
Ray O

Gee, I would just keep buying the 6 qt bottles. It will be a little cheaper in the long run.

What if he or she undershoots and you end up with 3 qts in there?

The other thing I always wonder about is do you end up with quaker state and the tech gets mobil 1 for his her car?

Delays at the news server doesn't cause duplication.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

And when you get home at from the oil change place, check your oil level, just to be sure.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Good point. If Built Well is very concerned about the quality of the oil changes, the best thing would be for him to do it himself.

Reply to
Ray O