OIL LEAK 89 CRESSIDA

I HAVE A 1989 CRESSIDA AND I HAVE OIL LEAKING INTO THE SPARK PLUG VALLEY AND I CHANGE THE VALVE COVER GASKET AND PUT A NEW O-RING ( NOT DEALER) IN THE DISTRIBUTER, BUT IT STILL LEAKS WHAT YOU THINK IS THE PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

Reply to
BEENIEMAN

  1. CAPS IS SHOUTING. So unless you're using a TTY Model 28 or earlier, please turn the caps lock off.
  2. Did you change the rubber rings at the bottom of the sparkplug wells when you changed the valve cover gasket?
  3. Did you follow the proper tightening sequence and pound/feet of torque? I do not have the sequence for the Cressida, but I know the Corollas are picky about it and I presume most of the other Toyotas are similar in design.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Look here:

This is the TSRM for a '91 Supra, basically the same car under the sheet metal...

Reply to
HachiRoku

If this is the engine with the cams in a tower (spacer box) above the head and under the valve cover gaskets, then the cam tower gasket is the likely culprit.

Reply to
Ray O

Same as the Supra, and similar to the 1.6L used in the Corolla GTS, with 2 more cylinders. Yamaha engine...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Reply to
Danny Greaves

hey charles what you mean by caps lock and the tty model 28. I did not replace the rubber rings at the bottom of the spark plugs for I did not get a set with the gasket kit. do you know where I can get a set

Reply to
BEENIEMAN

hey danny I had put some siclicone on the back bolt and the front one and they are still leaking, even more at highway speeds, what else you think it might be.

Reply to
BEENIEMAN

hey "H" THE eng. that I have is the 7mge and the cams are under the valve cover so you think that this might lead to the oil getting into the spark plug valley?

Reply to
BEENIEMAN

Hey do you think that the cross-drilled rotors they make for the supra will fit the cressida?

Reply to
BEENIEMAN

I'm not sure how much of the stuff crosses over from one to the other. Quite a bit, I bet.

The thing to do would be, if you have a friend in a parts store, is to go in, ask him to look up the part number for the rotors for your Cressida, and then see if it crosses to the Supra...

Reply to
HachiRoku

On this engine, it SHOULDN'T, but...one never knows (I am not an expert and have only had my Supra running this summer...)

This design engine is the same I have in my Corolla; it is a Yamaha engine with 2 more cylinders than my 4A-GE...

What would appear to me is that perhaps the valve cover gasket is wearing out and letting oil get to where it shouldn't. Think of how the valve cover covers the top of the engine and you'll see what I mean. The only problem I can think of in checking this is, if the car is set up like my Supra, the intake crosses over the valve cover and has to be removed before the VC. On my Corolla, this is not the case, and the VC can be removed quite easily. It will definitely be more than a short afternoon project...

There are also seals at the spark plugs in this design, IIRC, and inspecting these still requires removing the VC.

Head out and get yourself a gasket...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Might want to check your PCV to see if its plugged up at the throttle body. The

7MGE is a closed system and there is no pvc valve so any break in the seal like a valve cover or the dip stick is normally a vacuum leak. Also makes the engine run out of tune.

Couple of other thoughts.

Don't even think of messing around with the EGR cooler.

Check closely for vacuum leaks. PCV pipes to the valve covers especially.

Allot of oil (small lake) gets trapped under the center head cover and submerges the plugs. Clean that out before removing the plugs. Might be a quart even.

Remove the rubber intake air pipe and look in the throttle body. If there is a build up of muck that would effect the airflow when you open the throttle then its past due for normal maintenance. Remove it to clean it.

Remove/clean the throttle body, double checking the 3 plugs, clean the spark plug area is part of normal maintenance.

IF YOU TAKE OFF THE VALE COVERS RE-TORQUE THE HEAD. Luckily its easy to do. A web search for +7mge +head will explain why.

Hopefully helpful Dan

--end

Reply to
Danny Greaves

The 7MGE is a closed system and there is no

normally a vacuum leak. Also makes the engine

submerges the plugs. Clean that out before

build up of muck that would effect the

Remove it to clean it.

plug area is part of normal maintenance.

web search for +7mge +head will explain

Sort of easy. You have to use a swivel to get in there,but yeah, it is not real difficult!

These engines are known for losing Head Gaskets, so a tightening definitely won't hurt... (make that TORQUING!)

Reply to
HachiRoku

The 7MGE is a closed system and there is no

normally a vacuum leak. Also makes the engine

submerges the plugs. Clean that out before

a build up of muck that would effect the

Remove it to clean it.

plug area is part of normal maintenance.

A web search for +7mge +head will explain

The problem is that 58 ft.-lb. was never tight enough. It should have been 68 ft.-lb. IMO.

Reply to
Danny Greaves