Oil Light Comes on When Idleing

My 1990 Toyota Corolla wagon was laid up for about 4 months. It was started about every 2 weeks for 3 months, untill a line broke on the Rack and Pinion. Now fixed and back on the road. The car is great. But when It Idles, the Oil light comes on, as soon as you start revving it up a little, it fades, and goes off. The Oil level is where is should be. Just checked it before posting. It's soon time for an Oil change I belive!

Reply to
72Capri

OK, one thing that's a problem not being run is some of the seals on the older engines 'dry out' and you 'burn oil' when running. Watch your radiator fluid level and power steering fluid for a while, too.

Are you using Valvoline MaxLife? That should help lubricate the seals back a bit, depending on how old and worn the engine is.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Ah yes, the famous Corolla oil light. I've had that light come on...

It turned out to be a loose wire that connects to the oil pressure sensor. There is a single wire that comes from the sensor...they tend to come loose or break after a decade or so. Here's how to trouble shoot...

Have an assistance sit in the driver's seat, while you apply pressure and manipulate the wire (aka "jiggle it.") It is located just below the alternator, and to the left of the oil filter. Its the only device in the area that has a wire sticking out of it.

That may or may not be the problem, but its a common area to start. And as a side note, the oil capacity has little to do with the oil pressure. If your oil pickup screen is coated in sludge, even a full oil pan will still generate low pressure.

Good luck,

Tom

Reply to
SlyckTom