Oil on spark plug ...

85 Toyota Pickup 22RE - 85-90K miles or so on rebuilt engine.

Was driving on freeway (engine running fine) then after exiting and catching a red light, the engine was idling rough. After revving the throttle a bit, it seemed to smooth out.

Then the next day, I went to move the truck and when I started it up, it acted like it was running on 3 cylinders :(

Pulled the plugs today and the #4 (rear) plug was wet with oil.

There doesn't *seem* to be any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, so what am I encountering? Blown head gasket? Bad valve seal?

What ever the cause, it may just be time to retire the truck :(

TIA

noneyabusiness

Bad rings? Some sort of blow-by is going on.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I would run a compression test to verify the rings being bad. If the other cylinders are high then it might be worth fixing, depending on how the body and rest of the trucks shape.

n> 85 Toyota Pickup

Reply to
Joey

4 possibilities - leaking valve stem seal, ring problems, head gasket leak, or cracked block, in that order of likelihood.
Reply to
Ray O