Oil on spark plug

Hi all,

I'm new to the newsgroup and I am posting this on behalf of my father. This is for 2001 Sienna. He changed the spark plugs yesterday and when he was changing them the plugs closest to the driver is full of oil.

When he pulled out the spark plug, it was just covered with oil. He placed the new one and started the Sienna. Smoke was coming out of the exhaust for a few minutes and then it cleared up. Test drove it around the block and everything was running fine and there was no smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Could not check inside since this whas underneath the windshield.

We just want to find out what could cause this problem and if this would cause more problems in future. This was the first time the spark plug is changed. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
fungar

If it is like the Camry, the spark plug is inside a tube. The tube is screwed in to the head. Sealant on the thread keeps oil from the overhead gear from reaching the spark plug. I unscrewed mine and applied sealant to the thread on the tube.

Reply to
John