Oil Pan Plug

Brought my 1999 Sienna to the dealer for an oil change. It has 121,000 miles. They stripped the oil pan screw and told me the oil pan needed to be replaced. They tried putting in an oversized plug but oil's leaking onto the driveway. Is this normal for this to wear out? Seems like the dealer should fix this. They broke it. Thoughts?

Reply to
Anna

Does the dealer always change it? If so, then I think you have a pretty reasonable case. There's no excuse for them to do that, the plug does not need to be very tight to prevent leaking as long as they use the proper gasket and any driveway mechanic knows not to overtighten that bolt.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I don't own a Sienna but many Toyota's use a throwaway washer that is supposed to be replaced every time you change oil. It should be a line item on your receipt. If not, they may have been re-using it and that may explain the damaged threads. It would be their fault.

Reply to
Art

If the dealer refuses to fix this for free, and they probably will. You have the option of a knockdown, drag-out fight, or you could probably find a good local independent garage, that despite what the dealer sez, can probably fix this for $50 or so...

Next time, use one of the oil drain plug valves and you won't have the problem (fumoto makes a good one).

Reply to
timbirr

I'm assuming this is a Toyota dealer. If this is the only dealer to whom you've ever taken the car, tell them they broke it (bring copies of your receipts) and ask them to fix it. If they say no, then get a written quote for their recommended repair. Put the estimate in your pocket, drive to the nearest generic auto parts store and buy a $10 rubberized oil pan plug made exactly for the purpose of replacing stripped plugs, and take that back to the dealer and ask them to install it instead. If they say no, ask to talk to the manager / owner and tell them you think the dealer is intentionally trying to rip you off. If they still fail to satisfy you, file a complaint with Toyota.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

How does not replacing it damage the threads? Leaks I can understand but damaged threads are from overtightening or cross threading.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

they broke it,,,they fix it

there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for a WELL LUBRICATED THREAD TO WEAR OUT

I have 30 + year old Chevys with Original oil pans and oil plugs that are as good as new.

Reply to
I'm Right