ON Topic!! Red Antifreeze available (relatively) cheap.

CarQuest stores are now carrying REAL Toyota Red Antifreeze for under $20 a gallon. IIRC, a few people have mentioned the dealers want >$25 a gallon in some cases. (um, since I get a discount, I paid even less).

It's there for the taking! IIRC, Sale price was $19.42 a gallon.

And, it's the undiluted stuff!

Reply to
Hachiroku

*ON* Topic? Are you sure you're in the right newsgroup? ;-)

Now, for those of us who don't eat, sleep, breathe and excrete Toyota, what does the red stuff provide that the green stuff doesn't?

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

Is this the ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, non-borate, phosphate carrying hybrid organic acid technology (OAT) to which the Toyota owner's manual alludes?

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

This is the Real Motherf@ckin' Deal, y'all (to borrow from Aaron Lewis of Staind...)

Says Toyota right on it, distributed by Toyota Motor, Long Beach, California...

I was surprised as HELL to see it sitting on a shelf in a CarQuest!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

So is this the LLC (which could be red or pink), or the newer SLLC (super long life coolant)?

Reply to
mrv

I'll have to look...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hrm. 'Modern' meaning after what model year?

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

Scott in Florida mumbled incoherently to the rest of alt.autos.toyota:

Been running mine on green for 3 years nearly, unless I run horrifically concentrated quantities of green I get rust. That said the only parts that seem to rust are the turbo water feed and its associated hard-pipes, everything else looks clean as a whistle?!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

As far as protecting the cooling system, what's the difference between Toyota red coolant and red Dex-cool? I realize that their additives are very different, despite the similar color, but will I really hurt a Toyota by running Dex-cool? I've been using it in an old Corolla that had previously run nothing but Toyota red (the older kind).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

How old a Corolla? Like I mentioned to Ray, all the Toyotas I have ever had except the Scion have had green anti-freeze.

Reply to
Hachiroku

1986, made in Dec. 1985. I don't know if it came from the factory with red or green, but the car came with a bunch of receipts for Toyota antifreeze from the dealer.
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Yeah, that must have been it! The San Francisco POE is on the Sacramento River, and it gets a lot hotter than in SF itself!

Reply to
Ray O

I've seen what dex-cool does and will never ever use it again. That stuff gums up like crazy. I checked the coolant on a 3 year old gm product and the coolant reservoir had thick layers of sludge from the coolant in it. Never seen that with the green stuff. I use the green stuff, I don't mind draining a bit more often. It's easy.

Reply to
RT