opinon about a diesel Corolla

Hello,

With the gas prices 2.2$ / liter here in Turkey, I want to get rid of my gas guzzling Focus wagon and get something with a diesel engine. I was looking at Toyota's web page and saw that the Corolla is available with a diesel engine (D4-D engine).. This is the first time that Toyota cars are available with diesel engine here therefore no one knows anything about their reliablity. It is a 1.4 liter engine with 90 bhp and quite slow..but great on gas and its price is within my price range ($US 25K MSRP , damn taxes!). How is this Toyota engine? as reliable as the gas engine? costly to maintain? dengerous to drive because they are like snails?

Thank you very much.

Ahmet

Turkey

Reply to
dragon

Hey Ahmet, thought you were a GM guy. not using otogas/LPG/Propane then? Or is that no longer any cheaper?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I am also a GM guy... my other (wife's) car is an Opel Corsa 1.2 liter.. I love to drive a Chevy Monte Carlo with new generation V8 but the gas prices don't let me do it man...Can you freaking believe that more than %75 of what we pay for 1 liter of gas goes to the government as taxes!

Otogas/propane is half the price of the gas but the conversion for some car is not possible/safe.. Also, property tax on those cars go up whenever the government needs extra money to blow out on some unnecessary spending... That's why, I am not too keen to convert my Focus to LPG.

ahmet

Reply to
dragon

I'm in the UK, I can believe it. The biggest difference is, petrol/gas is about twice what it is in Turkey, but the average wage is about 4-6 times as much at least I reckon (especially if you include the very low waiters/hotel staff pay).

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Just out of curiosity Carl, what is the pump price per liter (I can do the conversions) you pay in Britain these days?

Reply to
Philip